Would this work?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by RiMo, Dec 30, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RiMo

RiMo Astrea Snail

I have a 20 g tank that I want to make into a sump/fuge. This 20g tank will not fit in the stand under my 30g. Since it is going to be out in the open beside the tank, I want the fuge to be visible from the front. Will this plan work?

top view...
    [​IMG]

rear view...
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you think.

Rick

2. Click Here!

3. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

Yes It will work although you may want to think of a way to reduce flow through the fuge so as to maximize contact between the water and fuge.
    It also looks like your fuge will only be half full. Rember you need to leave space to handle the overflow in the event of a power failure.

4. RiMo

RiMo Astrea Snail

As it is, it will hold 6 gallons of overflow. How many should it hold? remember that it is only a 30g tank. Am I right in thinking that the water level will be only as high as the middle overflow?

How can I reduce the flow in the fuge?

Rick

5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

I agree, you will have too much flow through the refug. You may want to try to have 2 adjustable feeds. One going to the Refug. One to the skimmer. Have the skimmer section drain directly into the return pump. It looks like you can simply mover the bubble trap from the right rear to the left and put a solid wall where the bubble trap is. That way you still have an area where you can place carbon bags or whatever and it will cut down on the bubbles going into the refug.

BTW, nice concept.

6. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Here are two designs with that in mind. Mine uses the left end of the tank for the visible area, while Chris's uses the entire front. I agree with the above posts about lowering the flow through the fuge area. Since my original post I have added a bypass gate from the skimmer area to the return box to adjust the flow through the fuge.
    My Fuge
    Chris Jones's Fuge

Mike

7. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Oh, are you planning on using egg crate between sections to pass water? That seems a little awkward. Do you have a router? Take a look at the skimmer I made in my gallery. I cut a simple Jig to make the "teeth". Shoot for no more than a 1.5" water drop between sections. It will help keep the sump quiet. (Not that it did me any good. ::) ;D )