Would this work ?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by jborlace, Jul 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

There is a guy from Arlington Texas that sells several different LED options for aquariums. He has a 48" LED bar with 48 three watt LEDs. 50/50 12000k whites and 453nm actinics. $129.00 Would this grow anything ?

2. Click Here!

3. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Do some research online (I know, that's what you're doing here) lol.....but scour the internet and see if there's any feed back on the unit. If not, then you're probably the first to test it for corals. GL.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Thats how the first led's came out. There are much better alternatives now days but if you are looking for a cheap entry level light that will be passable, though not much better in my opinion. If he custom makes them see if you can get him to use some different colors.

5. jborlace

I figured with two of them that would be around 300 watts.

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Power isn't necessarily the issue. Are they dimmable? Controllable? Are these options you could implement easily in the future. I'm sure this guy buys bulk and cranks them out so he might work with you for some options to make them POP

7. jborlace

On those units like the Taotronics that are only white and blue LEDs will those grow corals. I know full spectrum is better just weighing all options.

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

To add to what others have said, you need to know the driver capacity; 3w diodes on a 1w or less driver won't do much other than lasting a really long time.

10. jborlace

On the 48" bar it is dimmable but not sure on the drivers. LED stuff is complicated. May just stick with my T5s.

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

FWIW I have 20 3W LEDs (10 10,000K, 10 royal blue) over my 55 and I have had success with many different kinds of lower light corals. I currently have a Torch, Hammer, short tentacle plate (Fungia), Trachyphyllia Radiata, Favia, Acans, Ricordea Floridas, a few Chalices, couple Mushrooms, Zoas, Palys, Xenia, Kenya Tree, and a Rock Flower Anemone. So I do feel it could make a decent starter light.

12. jborlace

I was thinking two of them. That's 96 bulbs at 3 watts a piece. But I don't know what the drivers are so not sure if they are actually working at 3 watts. Wouldn't make much spence to me to put 3 watt LEDs and then not put a driver in them that would pull 3 watts.