Would this water work?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by imagine7070, Jun 30, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. imagine7070

imagine7070 Flamingo Tongue

So, I was wondering if water from a filtered water cooler could work as Top Off water. I'm talking about water that comes from like Sparklets or Alhambra drinking water that is dispensed from a water cooler. We have this HIGH TECH dispenser at work that is used as DRINKING water for people and since I don't have a RO/DI unit at home, I was wondering if I could just use this water instead. Any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

After reading their FAQ on the website. http://www.water.com/brands.asp
    They do not mention a RO/DI process. They don't mention much at all except that Alhambra used to sell distilled water...
    It's a crap shoot. You might be able to check it with a TDS meter.

Jim

4. imagine7070

imagine7070 Flamingo Tongue

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Without the DI, you might introduce the negative and positive ions: phosphates, nitrates, etc, etc. Drinking water should have the DI process in the filtration. Otherwise, you would be drinking crappy water.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The DI part of the RO equasion will eliminate very small particles(micron size) such as phosphate! That is why anyone looking to invest in water treatment for their tank water should not cut corners by purchasing the RO unit alone. Imo, however, but an RO/DI unit is much more beneficial!
    The filtered water from the cooler you are talking about is a better and safer bet though than by just using tap water from the sink!

7. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

From its description it looks like it removes nitrates and probably would do a good job. Check the phosphate levels from the water, if its a little high you could always use a phosphate sponge or resin. Most phosphate in the water will be in the molecular size not micron.