Would this sump design work?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by TrialandError, Jul 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TrialandError

TrialandError Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have no idea what I'm doing but was searching the web and found this design. I would modify it a bit though. The tank is going to be a 210 and the sump a 40 breeder.

[​IMG]

Since the tank has dual overflow I was planning to have a drain and pump on each end with a fuge in the middle. The skimmer I would have pump into the fuge but would have it run into a box and then flow into the fuge so as to not create to much turbulence in the fuge. The drains I would have run into the boxes in each corner in hopes of reducing bubbles.

Does this plan look like or sound like a good idea? Any input will be helpful as I have no idea what I am doing just thought the pic was pretty...

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

The easiest setup would be to use it as it is designed. Your skimmer and one drain would be on the left side. The fuge and second drain goes on the right, and the return pump sits in the middle. You can add a valve on the drain to the fuge to regulate flow. :)

4. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

+1 that's how my setup is

5. TrialandError

I've been told I need a bigger sump. Since I need to leave enough space in the sump in case of a power outage I would only be able to have 20ish gallons of water in the sump. That's not enough I don't think.

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I use a 40b on my 210g and I have another 40b plumbed into the same sump. Just make sure your return lines execute near the surface.

7. TrialandError

The holes are already drilled into the bottom of the tank :(

8. Click Here!

9. hingedthinker

hingedthinker Fire Worm

I am using a 55G sump on my 125G display. For a 210g, I would look for a 75g+ sump.

here is my thread, where you can see my sump designs and the final.

10. TrialandError

Hinged how did you plumb your drain pipe so it isn't loud? The salt tank I have right now isn't drilled from the bottom and I really have no idea how the plumbing in the overflows work. Sweet build you got going on also.

Grimguy what do you mean make sure the return lines execute near the surface?

11. hingedthinker

hingedthinker Fire Worm

I covered two different drain stand pipes in my thread. The larger herbie style is much quieter, followed closely by the double-durso. I have both setup in my dual overflow tank. Lots of pics in the thread...

The other guy meant to say "exit" at the top to avoid excess siphon from your return nozzles in case of pump failure or during maintenance...

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

You don't need to have a huge sump. The 40 breeder will be fine. Do this.

And no problem.

Just be sure your pvc overflow and return lines are high enough in the display. It will actually be easier to adjust this level when the bottom is drilled rather than the back. If the return nozzel is too low in the dispay, adjust the loc-line or extend the PVC in the overflow box to raise the water level.