Would this refugium/sump help?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Mr._Bond, Jun 30, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr._Bond

Mr._Bond Feather Duster

Hey all, I've recently been in some discussion on another thread in the newbie area about a new tank setup, only to find that my setup wasn't quite right. I have an undergravel plates and the uplifts that my power heads are attached too. I have troubles with nitrates and it came out that maybe the undergravel is at least part of the cause. Many suggestions came out but some of them were about using fuge or DSB. Well, don't know that I can make a DSB now with the fish and rock and everything. But I don't have lighting for a fuge yet or even the fuge itself for that matter. Was still thinking of converting my wet/dry, but I'm wondering, would it help to even just have a fuge with live sand in it without the macro algae?

2. Click Here!

3. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Yes it would help alot if you put a dsb in it. You really need to rip out that undergravel and either go barebottom or DSB. With a DSB and lots of liverock and a good skimmer you can even get away without having any sump or fuge. I have a 55 with a dsb and about 70 pounds of liverock and a skimmer. I also have 440 watts of vho lighting on this tank and it does excelent.

IMO...lose the undergravel and install a DSB. How muck LR do you have? Are you skimming? What is your livestock?

Jay

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I have only about 1 - 2 inches of sand in my display tank. I stir it frequently..

I do have a fuge/sump with a DSB in it...about 4 inches. When it exhausts, I will rip it out of the fuge, and replace it there....no messing in the display tank ;D

I believe if you set up a fuge with a DSB it will help ;D No need for macro but once you set it up, you will put it in....we all know how this hobby goes! ::)

5. Mr._Bond

Mr._Bond Feather Duster

OK, maybe I don't know about the fuge as much as I thought...
    Jay, are you meaning I should add a DSB to my display? I've got about 50 lbs live rock right now, I am skimming and my livestock is listed in my signature.
    Birdlady, what do you mean by "When it exhausts, I will rip it out of the fuge, and replace it there....no messing in the display tank" specifically "When it exhausts"? What does that mean - the DSB only lasts so long before it doesn't work anymore?

6. Mr._Bond

Mr._Bond Feather Duster

Oh, and also, no one ever has said - does it really hurt to have the undergravel plates if I remove the uplifts and are no longer pulling through there? Would be much easier to leave those in and remove the other components, seems like it'd be OK with them there right?

7. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Under gravel filters can work but they need a DSB to function well and they gravel must be vacuumed regularly to prevent clogging and dead spots. I used undergravel filters in SW 32 years ago and had no problems with nitrates running too high. But the best thing to do would be to get rid of your UGF.

8. Click Here!

9. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

All I was saying is that I have a 55 gallon with a 4-5 inch dsb and 70 pounds liverock in my display and I think it does very well. At least it brings me hours of enjoyment. I dont have any fuge or sump because I cant where I live{ dont want to risk a flood).
    If I had a choice I would have a nice sump with a refugium. I was just stating that is can be done without. Mine been up for about 1 year. look at it in my gallery if you like.
    My tank has low nitrates but they are some in my tank but thats because I feed my corals well. I probably feed more than others but my corals keep growing like weeds : )

Jay

10. Mr._Bond

Mr._Bond Feather Duster

I understand, thanks Jay!