would this design work?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by skyvern2130, Sep 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

he is a design i drew up sry no scanner had to take pic of it

its a 20 gallon long i plan to convert
    from right to left a 3 in area for live added live rock and adding in filtter fiber and maybe charcoal now and then, next will be a 9 in area for a esshops psk75 skimmer then a 13 1/2 refug with a 2-3 in sand bed
    then a 3in return pump
    the baffles with be 6 1/2 in tall from bottom and from top they will be 10 in tall
    there will be 3 6 1/2 in and 2 10 in baffles is this good
    any suggestion would be very helpful

in the fug i will have a plant growing light with cheato
    using a 6500k CFL in a clip on lamp or some cheap led from ebay

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

Common designs I've seen lately have only 3 sections with skimmer on one side, return in the middle and fuge on the other side. I would think it'd be better to go with 3 sections and distribute your LR throughout so you have more area for fuge. More fuge = more sand & more room for Chaeto = mo better.

That way you also get water that hasn't been skimmed to the fuge, which is preferred. And, the output of the fuge goes directly back to the DT so you're not skimming out poods and other good things that come out of the fuge.

I don't think there's anything technically wrong with your plan though. Maybe make your bubble trap w/ three rather than two dividers.

I'm certainly no expert though....

4. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

ok drew this one up to

ditched filter area and will regulate the flow to fug to about half the flow rather than full flow, have full flow to the skimmer area
    will but my live rock with cheato and pods in fug
    use 1/2in diameter pvc pipe maybe 1/4in

Attached Files:

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I think the Eshopps needs 9-12" water in the sump (or at least the PSK-100 does), so I think you would want the height of the skimmer baffle to be the minimum water level for the skimmer. Other than that it looks good. Just keep in mind the return section will go down relatively fast due to how small it is so an ATO is a must :)

6. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Ik I plan on having a ato hooked up I probally won't have this built till January

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid