would this be over the top?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by geologeek, Dec 26, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

i have just got a pump from work that is designed for industrial dish washers. it is new and has no metal parts that come into contact with water, the only thing is it pumps 650 litres per minute......now that will be my entire tank per minute! can anyone say wirlpool?...would this be too much or would it be better to have it pulse on and off...i have a soft start timmer that will allow something to be switched on for any period from 15 sec to 15 mins, that is on for 15 and off for 15 ( or any time period it is set at) if you catch my drift.

now does any body have a view on this as it will save me $200 even if i have to spend that on the fuel bill - lol

i know people aim for a turnover of ten times an hour but would it be too much to aim for about 40 if the outlets are numerous arround the tank?

all views will be appreciated!

levi

2. Click Here!

3. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

That's a MIGHTY pump. I have a few thoughts for you.
    1. Check to be sure it is saltwater safe!
    2. IMHO a constanly running pump is much happier that pulsing on and off.
    3. Assuming you are using this from a sump, use 2 ball or gate valves to regulate the amount of flow going back to your display tank. One of the valves would just loop back to the sump. This would allow you to regulate the amount of flow to your display tank without increasing the back pressure on the pump.

Mike

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I think I would put it on Ebay and sell it. ( that pump would be more suited for a pond ) Then get a pump more suitable for what you need. I don't believe you would ever get your overflows to keep up with it. Even at 1/2 the flow with the other 1/2 going back into the sump. And that would also make your sump quite turbulent, I would think. JMO ;D ................. John

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

It will probably save you a HUGE headache if you dont use it. It might flood your filter or cause a real nasty spill. I say sell it and buy another with the cash. I'm pretty sure someone is looking for an industrial pump like that.

6. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Ummm, for us USA folks that is about 10,000 gph on a 170 gal tank. I'm guessing that beast has to be about 3+ hp running at 3500 rpm. For a 170 gal tank? Plus it is probably pulling around 20 amps! 24/7 the cost of running that will catch up with you over time. Plus it has to be hot! Your are really going to be working the water and adding a lot of heat to your system.

That is roughly twice the pump I'm using on my 300 gal (1135L), which is still massive overkill and I'm lifting water from my basement. You may want to think about that... Between the volume and the amps you have a lot to deal with. Nevermind that it has to be a really loud pump. I had a 2 hp (435 LPM) running before I changed to my 1.5hp (378 LPM). I had to throttle the 2 hp back so much it could be heard on the 2nd floor. It is now my backup pump ( I always planned on having a 2nd). I still have the ball valve closed off by 1/3rd on the 1.5.

I love massive overkill, but even to me that sounds like a lot. IMO, I wouldn't do that.

Good luck,

Bruce

7. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

thanks for your views, its always appreciated. I think i have decided to go with a converted central heating pump (do a google search for aqua turn if your interested) that will give me a flow rate of 1800 to 5600 ltr/hr depending on setting.

i cant find a cheap enough pump that is purpose made that is less than £200, and any less will only give me a turn over of once per hour!

thanks again

levi

8. Click Here!

9. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

I didn't go with a standard fish pump either. I want with a Saltwater approved pool pump. Check this site out. http://stores.ebay.com/Pool-and-Spa-Pump-Depot
    This is the unit I'm currently using:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1-5-hp-2-Speed-...itemZ4391120041QQcategoryZ20732QQcmdZViewItem
    It cost me $179.99 delivered.
    You can get a lot of bang for the buck from Perry.
    A 3/4hp 1.5" should be more than enough for your needs.
    I see 2 problems with that for you.
    Shipping is only free in the USA and it is SAE vs. Metric, but it may give you an idea of where to go for an alternate for a high priced aquarium pump.