would this be ggod for my reef tank?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by fish addict, Jun 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. n1sm0r

n1sm0r Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THAT UNIT!

I bought the exact one back when I had a 26gallon bowfront.
    Here's a list of all the problems I had:

1. The cooling fan is not even screwed into the fixture, the corners just had a drop of glue holding it on
    2. The legs are VERY difficult to attach to the fixture because the "rails" on the fixture are super distorted so I had to tap it in with a hammer and flat head screw driver. Even when I got it on, it was still a bit unstable.
    3. The fixture has very poor cooling, so it gets EXTREMELY hot, more hot than many other metal halides I've seen.
    4. The bulb that's advertised as 15000k looks more like 10000k and had NO blue tint.
    5. I purchased my unit from that exact seller and my fixture came VERY poorly packaged. The light was on the bottom of the box and all the packing peanuts were ABOVE the fixture. Stupid, very pointless since there was NO padding on the bottom. As a result, my UV shield and bulb were cracked upon delivery

Pros:
    1. None

I ended up returning the unit, but was charged a restocking fee which is to be expected. Ever since then, NEVER SKIMP ON LIGHTING. If you don't have a lot of money, find used metal halide fixtures on craigslist.

Hope that helps!

2. Click Here!

3. klink67

klink67 Astrea Snail

Mt unit from insidesun.com works great and it only cost me $90. It also comes with a sylvania ballast which is really high quality.