Would MORE flow be better?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by yheartsp, Oct 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yheartsp

yheartsp Purple Spiny Lobster

My tank size is 60 x 24 x 30 ( inches ) , 187 gallons
    Right now i have 3 circulation sources in my tank.
    Return pump is 5000 litres per hour, waavemaker is 4600 litre per hour , and chiller pump is 3000 litre per hour.

[​IMG]

as you can see from the pic, all 3 water output is at the top left.
    My corals are mainly zoas, shrooms/yumas, LPS , a few euphyllia species , and 2 BTAS. I am wondering if i should add one more wavemaker? Suggestions of wavemaker is welcomed ;D

2. Click Here!

3. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Koralias are pretty good and you can get them for a pretty decent price on Dr fosters and smith.com

4. kalandra

kalandra Flamingo Tongue

i use a koralias myself i love it .. i would like to get a second one . .
    you say you have all your flow sources on the left side of ur tank . try moving one to the right side . that way when the two sorces of water meet you get a torrent effect . your fishes will love it . it is like an ever changing current .

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

yheartsp

my instincts tell me to say yes, add one more wavemaker at the other end- if you cant get Korallia, maybe you can get the SumSum brand (Clones of the K models) they dont have the magentic holders that the Ks have, but so far I am not having any issues with the suckers x 3 with each of these I have
    also sometimes avialable here are Tunze Turbelles which I have used in the past and Seio wave makes which are another well known brand

having studied the photo, everything looks pretty good to me, as it is to be honest and you will get turbellence if you have some of the water directed off the tank walls etc

maybe move the wavemaker you have to the other end and assess your inhabitants reaction

you dont have any real demanding in terms of flow corals, so experiment (its always good to have a spare anyway) and see how your inhabitants react

Steve

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  6. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

I think you mean assess Steve *blush*

7. yheartsp

Sadly it's not so decent after shipping to malaysia ( shipping alone costs 100usd ) ::)
    i would love to but my cable's not long enough, nvm i'll find a way ;D

yeap, i'll try moving the wavemaker now ! would adding a vortech mp40 be too strong for my tank? i've heard great things about it ;D
    and if i were to add a koralia to the other side of the tank, would a 4 be ideal?

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

yheartsp
    A K4 sounds good to me. but those MP40s do get some great reviews , never tried one myself , but know they are very highly thought of

Steve

10. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

yheartsp, you asked a question with no stated objective. Is there a problem you think more flow will help with? If all is well (and it looks as if it is) leave it alone.

11. yheartsp

hmm yes there is
    1. there are detritus settling at some areas that the flow can't get to, but to counter that a little powerhead would be enough.

2.there is a large patch of oil/ dirt settling at the surface of the water, the left part, but i think moving the powerhead to the other side would solve that, i will try that first before deciding on whether to add one or not ;D