would it be possible

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by manderson21, Feb 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. manderson21

manderson21 Plankton

I have a 48" odysey set up for 2 250 watt halides, 2 96 watt power compacts and 2 65 watt power compacts. Is there any way to switch the power compacts out and put T5s in there instead? What kind of ballast and bulbs would be good for the Halides? Just wondering because our ballasts blew up,

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

probly a PITA. might be better to shop for ballast of ebay. Ive done that twice already, but did find exact fit one plug and play. just measure your old ones and you can find replacements that way. you could upgrade the pc bulbs to uvl brand like me. much much better.. same materials used in there t5 bulbs. reekgeek.com carrys the uvl bulbs w/internal reflectors.

heres a oydessa replacement 65w x 1 ballast I used:
    65W x1 Aquarium Power Compact Replacement Ballast Kit. - eBay (item 150394370508 end time Mar-03-10 07:45:03 PST)

heres a 96w x 1 ballast:
    96W x1 Aquarium Power Compact Replacement Ballast Kit. - eBay (item 380184403867 end time Mar-03-10 07:45:59 PST)

make sure your unit has individual ballast for each bulb. some have 1 ballast for 2 bulbs if that the case you'll need different ballast 65w x2 or 96w x 2..

also make sure the wires going into the wire harness (that connects to bulbs) are in there snug. mine were loose, the second time around and I thought I lost another ballast, but it was just shorting out. give it a try before you buy..

4. Geoff

Geoff Teardrop Maxima Clam

Odyssea has cheap ballasts and they don't last very long, I ended up replacing all of mine, I steer clear of that brand now.