Would Drilling a few holes in my Overflow line help bubbles?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by bama, Apr 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

i have the same problem, and my solution to it was just to add a sponge at the end of the tube in the sump, and it quite down the noise, there are still bubbles but no noise!

2. Click Here!

3. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

Coylee has the idea you need to try... you want to incorporate the standpipe idea outside of your tank. It needs enough airflow to keeps it from stopping up and or/ "gurgling". You should be able to throw your higher corals lower and drain the tank down below the 1.5 bulkhead and swap out for a T. You could put a reducer in the 1.5 outlet of the other side and even put a cap with a drilled hole.... as you drill that hole bigger and bigger until it's as big as you need it, the shavings will fall down into your mechanical filtration (ie, bag or media pad). That's what I've always done to fix this problem on other peoples tanks.

4. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

Why do you need a threaded T?

You shouldn't have a threaded application... only on the out side where the bulkhead snugs against the glass. The inside should be smooth where you'd slip the 1.5 in the bulkhead to the T.

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Brilliant. I'd do just that!

Yes, the standpipe would be more effective outside the tank. What a good idea!

True. Use a slip T, and a nipple of PVC to adhere it to the bulkhead. I'd glue the T to the bulkhead/nipple, the downpipe to the T, and the ventpipe to the T, too. You could then glue a cap on the ventpipe and drill a hole in the top of that. Start with a very small hole, and test the system. Make it progressively larger as noise requires. Once you get it right, it'll be permanent.

Great idea, coylee_17!!

6. bama

bama Humpback Whale

My Bulkhead is threaded so thats why I would have to go that way. I can completely tear this tank down as there is nothing in it except water so this shouldnt be too big of a problem. I have seemed to find a good combination of reducing flow and the breather in the pipe to keep it from gurgling too much. I think im going to take Optimist's idea and just drill it a little larger and get larger tubing. that would be the easiest for me right now.

7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

lowes or home depot sell 1.5" threaded, then get a reducer if you need one.

8. Click Here!

9. bama

bama Humpback Whale

thanks.. Im going to check it out tomorrow..

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Even with a stand pipe you will still get bubbles. It won't be bubble free, but you will solve the problem you have now of huge ones.

In the sump, some terminate their drain with a Tee for the same reason. Put a bit of pipe to direct the flow and water down, and leave the "top" open. The water goes down, and the air comes up. I've used sponges, but with raw water from the tank, they need to be cleaned a lot. Some use socks for this reason, but same thing. There are various baffling solutions.

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Probably the very reason so few of us succeed. LOL

:)

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Ha. Ain't that the truth.:)