would any crabs benefit from able to come out of the water

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by sostoudt, Sep 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i was wondering if hermits, Percnon gibbesi(sallylightfoot), emerald crabs would come out of the water if i had rock above the water level? second question would it benefit them?

and probably the most important question if i tried this is can crabs jump?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

4. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

I don't think they can jump, I have seen a few blue crabs running around on the land after being caught and they never jumped...as far as being beneficial, I always thought that fully aquatic crabs stayed submerged all the time. In the same way strictly land crabs like those on christmas island drown if they get to far into the water where they lay their eggs, then there's fiddler crabs which I see in the the tidal zones of the marsh so they appear to like land and water...so I dunno if any of the mentioned crabs would want to be out of the water for very long, they would dry out and they get their oxygen from the water so I doubt they breath well if at all on land...this is just my thoughts and opinions though, not 100% sure, I'm sure someone here is a crab expert and can explain this though, interesting question, it'd be cool to see an emerald walking around up on a rock.

1 person likes this.
  5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

No These crabs are saltwater crabs that will die out if out of the water for any length of time

J

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

oh i was wondering becuase when i was acclimating my sallylightfoot(nimblespray) it would try to climb out of the styrofoam box.

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

when I was transferring tanks...I found 2 white legged hermits in my sump that survived a couple of weeks with just the smallest amount of water. I had transferred everything over to the new tank...drained everything and was just waiting for them to take the old tank down. So when they finally did here were these crabs still alive in the sump. Now I guess they had enough water to get air, but no circulation and not enough water I would think to keep them alive if they were truly only able to breath underwater. The water was nasty also....

They were demonspawn crabs however...that is why they were in the sump to begin with...never get whiteleg crabs..grow to fast and will kill fish and not reef safe

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

porcelain crabs, blue legs, and most other hermit crabs come out of the water at low tide, but stay moist by running around in moist sand or mud. Fiddlers need to be able to leave the water, but most people don't have them. Crabs are pretty good at going from submerged to moist climates and back. Even the Giant Marine Hermits, (local common name), that are bigger than a fist are out an about on the shoreline. They don't stay for long though.

1 person likes this.
  10. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i would'nt want to make it possible for them and snails to get high up enough to get out.i've had a few snails commit snailcide over the back edge of my tank.