Would a blenny be beneficial to me?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by 4phish, Jan 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

I have read a fair amount about these guys and am deciding if one would be beneficial to my system. My substrate always looks dirty, my rocks could use a cleaning and I just love the look of some of these fish. Will one of these fish help with my substrate issues? Also I am not sure if my tank is established enough. I had a 55g set up for about a year and a few months and recently transsfered everything over to a 75g. I have good growth on my rock, but I don't want the fish to eat all the algea I have and then starve. Should I wait?

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Did you use new sand when you moved everything? Also is your rock stacked on top of the sand or directly on the glass bottom?

I think a blenny would do fine in your tank. You can always supplement it's diet with some algae chips if necessary.

4. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

The rock is on the glass with the sand around it. I used a combo of new and old sand when I moved.

I have heard it is hard to get a blenny to accept dried or prepared foods. Is this true?

5. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

My algae blenny is constantly roaming the tank, and hopping up on the nori clip. He likes Frozen Mysis, Nori, and Oceans Nutrition Flake.

6. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

If you get one make sure the LFS will take him back when it is time or have another place to ship it to.