Would 3/8" thick glass be safe for a Peacock Mantis?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by =Jwin=, Jun 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Would 3/8" thick glass be safe for a Peacock Mantis?

1. Yes, the glass is plenty thick and shouldn't break.

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. No, the mantis could break 3/8" glass.

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

I believe I will be using 3/8" glass. Not to go against anyone's warnings...however I'm going to go with the poll results, which almost all say yes 3/8" would b fine. Except for Packleader's vote. ::)

Plan B, if I feel uncomfortable later on, or if something happens, is I will line the inside with 1/4" lexan sheets, similar to what Stepho did in his 10 gallon with Mr. Fister. Supposedly it can withstand a 9mm bullet. (note: stepho actually removed his lexan sheeting he put in his 10g because he felt he didn't need it, and it looked weird :p) But that's plan B. Of course, if anything did happen with the glass, you guys would be one of the first to know.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

I dont think I ever gave you kudos for starting a mantis tank. Peacocks are awesome. they learn so fast and they will personally get to know you. In the mornings when my middle son use to wake up, she use to wait for him at the front of the tank because she knew he had a treat for her! They are like little puppys, only they command a little more respect!

4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Idk about the commanding more respect part... I wouldn't want to get hit by a peacock mantis but I am much more afraid of what my Doberman Pincher could do to me.

Mantises are awesome though.

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

The force with which they can potentially hit is significant. If they were to hit it just right, yes, it would break. However, is it likely? No. I would trust 3/8th inch. You would have to be teasing it into striking, then have it miss you by 3/8th inch, which in an of itself is unlikely.

6. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Ever been hit by one when you weren't paying attention? I have...........they command respect.

7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Ever been mauled by a dog? I haven't either but you hear more about people dying by dogs than mantis shrimps. :p

8. Click Here!

9. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

Gonna have to agree. Having stared down two majorly bent-outa-shape feral dogs I can say I was *awful* glad that I had a lever .45 colt with me....can't say I have ever felt the need to shoot a mantis in self defense :laugh:
    Not that it wouldnt end up being an interesting experience :eek:

10. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

Ah, but your statistics are skewed: there are umpteen million more dog owners than mantis owners. You have to adjust for the disproportion.

Will MOST dogs attack unprovoked? Prob not

Mantis? I've heard "they command respect" more than once.

11. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Yes but they are also freakishly smart. They soon learn "the hand that feeds them". Schackmel's mantis Bob knows her hand and allows her in the tank, even to go as far as to give her a love tap with her tail when mel touched her den. However, Schackmel RARELY allows any other hand in Bob's tank, because Bob would not recognize the hand as mel's hand, and bad bad things could happen. The point of this story is that a mantis isn't going to attack anything in the water. They aren't just "Standby or Kill" mode creatures. They know what they're doing. And I mean they know it.

My mantis princess knows my hand. She won't take food from it...but she's not scared of it either.

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

with that said.....I agree. But I do still respect Bob! I dont want to be on the receiving end of a mantis or a dog attack! LOL

When I was a kid (sheesh 16!), I went to this girls house with another friend. We were sitting there and I walked past this pit bull that was just laying there. This wench kicks the dog, the dog wakes up and sees me, and runs after me teeth barred! I run out of the house. This girl thinking it was funny, opened up the door and the dog came after me again. I had to lock myself in the car. Needless to say I never was friends with that girl again!

Then when I first got Bob, I went to another LFS to buy snails for her. I was talking to a guy and he showed me his thumb wiht a scar all the way across his thumb. He said he had a peacock in the store once and it hit him down to the bone! Was a nasty cut. He was not happy that I had one....and when I was not overly impressed ran and told my mom!

I think the moral of these stories is this....you have to know your animals that you have. ANY ANIMAL, can turn bad, including my pug! They are animals, and demand respect and proper care! You dont want to go up and kick a dog, nor do you want to tease a mantis.
    Plus you have to know how your animal reacts. I just had to do a major water change on Bobs tank because it was so bad after she had those eggs. I did not attempt to do any care in the tank for the last week and half cause she was on guard. Plus when she is molting I do not bother her at all