Worth? $$

Discussion in 'Coral' started by JJL, Feb 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

What do you think would be a fair price to sell this frag to my lfs. I have a big colony of them seen in the picture, but i also have a small colony of about 7 or 8 (they are the bigger zoas with yellow in the middle). I could just ask the lfs but I dont really want to bother bringing the frag if he wont give me decent $ or credit. So here is the picture of the bigger colony. Thanks!

[​IMG]

What do you think?

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I doubt they will offer anything more than $5 for what you have pictured.

4. gutterguy

gutterguy Astrea Snail

If its just a frag you will be probably be lucky to get 5-8 bucks for it from the lfs. They have to make a profit on it.

good luck and nice zoas!

5. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Honestly, i would never try and give zoas to LFS unless they are overgrowing your tank. I never give stuff an my LFS unless its getting too big or I cant sell it. Last resort basicly.

Try and putting it up on craigslist for a month or so and it might sell and you could get some money for it.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

There's lots of factors. Do I have this color of frag in stock right now? Is it a rarer color? I basically decide what I would sell this frag for and generally give the customer 50% of that price. (I give less for Anthelia, Kenya Trees, and Xenia unless it's a rarer color of Xenia). I would probably give you $20 ($21 if you do a zoanthid eating nudibranch dip prior to bringing them to me). This method of giving customers good trade in value has worked very well for me. I have more selection than competitors and because the customer is getting credit, they usually end up buying more than their credit. I like to move corals in and move them out. I don't like to price them so high that they just sit there.

7. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

This is very true theres actually a study that was done last year on if people spend just the credit or over, and well they spend 50x the amount of the credit or gift card, so keep that in mind! me personally, i would spend usually alot more lol b/c theres always something i want!

8. Click Here!

9. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Thanks guys! I probably will not give them to my lfs unless he will do a trade in for these other zoas he has. Thanks again for the input!

10. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

why dont you just frag a few of them and in a month when the weather gets nicer im gonna make a huge frag trade thread, we will just pay our own shipping, 15$ 2 day shipping..

11. shecter

shecter Fire Shrimp

thats a great idea saints. id be all about that.