Worst day ever (for my tank)

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by TriggersRule, Jul 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I hear ya, but remember. The electrical current would have to travel either up the drain, the return, or a little of both. On the drain the current would of been disturbed by the air bubbles that are created and on the return, the current would of had to past through his pump's impeller. Not impossible, but not an easy task either. First we're talking about 110v not 220v 3-phase. The amps perhaps 15amp the most if it was the only thing connected to the dedicated outlet, if other things are connected, then the amps will drop. He should of had the light plugged into a GFI outlet per code, or resettable power strip in the least. Also, AMPs kill & not voltage.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

lol. I wasn't being so technical...just stating. :p But yeah, you are correct.

4. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Really sorry to hear! :( Stick with it though and hope the best comes out of it!

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Sorry to hear, definitely don't shut it down, take your time and think of the joy you receive from putting a great looking tank together. I agree with the rest about giving the coral more time.

6. TriggersRule

TriggersRule Feather Duster

Definitely my failure for not hooking up the GFI I will admit...honestly didn't think that this f'n light would have fallen in like that...I am blaming 3m for the POS strips that they advertised could hold 100lbs.

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I think the corals will do fine....corals can take votage better then fish do. They will slowly open back up.

However, that light is toast now! I would not plug that puppy back in. Saltwater is actually a great conductor for fire and the light might catch fire from the salt in there.......I wouldnt even trust it if I cleaned it out very well. Trust me I learned from experience several years ago!

Hang in there!

8. Click Here!

9. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

This sux, it really does. But its no reason to quite. I am sure you will have other corals die too... $h** happens to us all.

And those stripes probably werent ment for a marine/ wet environment. Always use a glue or screws, live and learn!

Good luck

10. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I always have this thinking in life. "This was built by the lowest bidder" Having that in mind, I always question everything & make it work as I feel it should be better or safer. ;D