Resolved Worried about O2 levels

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by TriggersRule, Nov 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TriggersRule

TriggersRule Feather Duster

I just added a remora pro with a maxi-jet 1200 to my 35 gal hex tank (LFS said the MJ1200 should be fine for my size tank with this skimmer). After hooking it up I am worried about the O2 levels in my tank dropping as the skimmer doesn't create any ripple effect like my bio wheel filter did, I've also noticed a lot of micro bubbles settling on the surface which appears to be making the water very dense on top. I am thinking about adding another small power head and pointing it towards the surface but am not sure if this is the best route to take in order to ensure good O2 levels. Any suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. bigdaddyreefer

bigdaddyreefer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The skimmer oxygenates the water by combining water and air inside the skimmer itself, not by the 'ripple' effect. I wouldn't be too worried oxygenation so much as you seem to have too many microbubbles. I assume they are coming out of the protein skimmer? What type of skimmer is it? Can you adjust the flow?

1 person likes this.
  4. TriggersRule

The skimmer is an aqua c remora pro with an MJ1200 pump, not sure how I can adjust the flow other than adding the air line to the pump which the directions say not to do. I'm wondering if the microbubbles are occuring because I just installed it yesterday?

5. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

Sounds like it's breaking in. New skimmer will take some time to break in

6. TriggersRule

Cool, kinda thought I would bypass this step by getting a used skimmer but I think I understand now why it has to break in regardless if it is used or not.

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi Triggers rule

your idea about PH pointing or aimed to make ripples on the surface is a good one IMO
    if the surface is calm protiens get bound up by the surface tension there, and in this case your skimmer cant get at them

I always try and make sure I have good rippling (OK waves in my case) of the water surface to avoid this and prevent those protiens eventually becoming that scum that can be seen on surface of tanks with to little surface movement (It can be removed with kitchen roll drapped on surface and removed, the scum sticks to the kitchen roll) but IMO
    I would rather not let it form there in the 1st place

if allowed to build up to much
    it reduces light
    it prevents CO2 escaping

so if it where my tank, irrespective of oxygentation from other sources
    it would have at least 1 PH or wavermaker K etc , pointed across the surface

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. TriggersRule

If I added a surface skimmer do think it would have the same effect? Also would that help the co2 to escape?

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

yes - a surface skimmer would perform a similar task for you IMO

Steve

11. TriggersRule

12. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

what is a kitchen roll? a paper towel?