worried about my params

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Beautemps, Oct 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I disagree and I think it's completely wrong to tell people that using fish in a cycle is "completely wrong". It might bother your sensibilities... but that doesn't make it wrong.

2. Click Here!

3. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

You know whats wrong, people who put videos of puffers and piranhas eating small animals like fish, birds, mice, or frogs on youtube. I saw a few of these yesterday and I was not happy.

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

All I can say is good luck. Like peredhill said mine has taken 10 weeks and is finally showing readings of 0 and it was a real PITA

5. Happyfeet

Happyfeet Plankton

Yeah, why don't they feed those fish frozen processed foods like they eat in nature. It's completely asinine to think someone would force another creature to eat another living creature, it absolutely breaks my heart.

Good luck on your cycle, mine has taken two weeks and everything is getting close to 0.

6. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

its 100% wrong to put any animal thru pain to cycle a tank period, esp when there are many other ways

7. oceanparadise1

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

no dude. wrong.

I am not saying it isn't bad for the fish. I am saying you can keep your morals and delicate sensibilities to yourself (that's actually a quote from Deadwood :p). This isn't the place for them.

You want to recommend against it, fine, go ahead. But don't tell people it's 100% wrong because, frankly, it worked 100% right for me.

There are other ways to do it that don't harm fish, I agree... but harming fish isn't an undeniable "wrong". It's merely your opinion. Besides, I harm fish several weekends out of the year (fishing) when I could just go to Red Lobster :-X and get a "pre-dead" fish ;D

Or is hooking a fish 100% wrong because there are other ways to get a meal?

Keeping fish (particularly live caught) in a home tank is only detrimental to the species. If you really want to believe what you say then perhaps you should not keep any fish at all as "pets". They are better off in the ocean after all ::) and there are better ways to keep "pets" (like a caged bird with clipped wings).

My point is that you shouldn't be forcing your fish morals on 3reef readers.

Cycling with fish is fine in lots of folks opinions. Even though it can burn the fish...

10. oceanparadise1

cycling is not fine to do with a fish if you care about the well being of the fish period. And im not wrong in the sense that it is painful for the fish, my whole point.

1 person likes this.
  11. Jm'sRSM

Jm'sRSM Fire Shrimp

ya i agree. if we want to talk morals in this hobby we are all toast, well most of us. i have used a fish to cycle my tank many times, dont really have a problem with it, still have the bastard. big blue the devil damsel. if we really had an issue with this all of our fish and corals would have to be either bred or farmed, not caught in the wild.

12. oceanparadise1

It has nothing to do with morals,it has to do with not putting a fish thru a cycle.