Worried about my nem

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by 1sleeper, Mar 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1sleeper

1sleeper Astrea Snail

I have a BTA that's about 2 months old. My clarkii is all over it, leaves it only to feed. He brings back food but I think he knocks it out (freak). I went on vacation 2 weeks ago and while I was gone it got caught in the modded mj shroud. My wife shut it down and let the nem back out. It seemed fine last week but now it deflates every day and some of it looks wilted and never inflates. The clown still brings it a small piece of shrimp every three days but I can't tell if it's eating because he's somewhat hidden. It definitely looks like it's going downhill and all the sudden I have an algae outbreak (another thread). I also have a yellow dyed nem I was told was "rare" (they said sabae) that's about a month old and resides on the opposite side of the tank. I know NOW it's not a good idea to have two in an 80 and chances of getting his foot out of there without injury is low. My wife wanted a nem for our percula and the LFS said 2 is no problem. Dumbasses! I'm hoping it's not warfare because the yellow one is 1/4 the size of the BTA. I'm running rowaphos through a reactor and considering carbon in there too. You can see the wilted tentacles on the BTA in the top of the pic.
    thanks guys,
    Jim
    Here are my params:
    SG-1.024 @ 77.6 F
    Amonia-0
    No2-0
    No3-.2
    Iodode-.1 mg/l
    Si-0
    Ca-420
    PH-8.1
    Alk-4.5 meq/l
    Phosphate- .07mq/l
    Mg-1300ppm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

Im not that knowledgable about anemone's however, I think with your parm's that he is in a good home to come around. Just make sure you keep your calc, iron, and iodine good as these are great building blocks to any salt water form.

4. 1sleeper

1sleeper Astrea Snail

thanks Philip, my wife and I have been worried for the last 5 days. I can't feed it because I can't see it. Our hope is riding on the clarkii.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Your "rare" anemone is actually a very common anemone that has had dye injected into it. If it survives, it will not remain that color. What kind of lighting have you got in this tank?

6. philip_r5

philip_r5 Feather Duster

Yeah, I didn't think about the lighting. That will help or hinder it allot. Also your clarkii could help it and/or not help it. Just make sure to keep an eye on it. Making sure the clarkii isn't beating to much on it.

7. 1sleeper

1sleeper Astrea Snail

I have 3 month old 48" T5 lighting. 3 11000K and 2 actinics.
    The clarkii bothers it constantly. Always wigglin' in it.

8. Click Here!

9. 1sleeper

1sleeper Astrea Snail

amcarrig, I am aware it's dyed. Is it sebae?

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It definitely looks like a sebae to me. I saw one at a local fish store just the other day that looks exactly like yours so, even though I'm in the market for a sebae, I didn't buy it because I'm against the practice of dying inverts to fetch a high price tag.

11. 1sleeper

1sleeper Astrea Snail

I am also against it but didn't know better. I was naive and took their word for it. If not for the 1 hour trip each way, I probably would have researched it first. That store is touted as the oldest and best in our area. I will now only buy what I have researched and not take an LFS's word for it. Christ, I think I know more about salt in 4 months than they learned in 20 years. That is sad. They must not keep educated.

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Oh, most of them are plenty educated but they're more in it for the almighty dollar :(

Anyhow, back to the anemones' health. As long as they are still attaching and do not have an inverted mouth, they might be ok. Just keep your water nice and "clean" and keep an eye on the animals for signs of detioration. If you notice that the anemones are rotting, remove them asap.