worried about my fire fish

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Rynoskim46, Aug 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rynoskim46

Rynoskim46 Astrea Snail

I bought a purple firefish about 3 weeks ago. A few hours later I go to admire my new fish, or so I thought for the next two days I am convinced that it jumped out of my tank and one of my dogs got it before it dried up. Then one morning while I'm feeding my fish in utter depression since I thought I had such a beautiful fish out comes the fire fish as if he had waited for me to sit down and observe them eat. He caught the current right infront of me for a few minutes allowing me to admire my investment for a few minutes, ate a few morsels of shrimp then retreated back to his lair. And that has been the last time Iakve seen it. Friends. And visitors have mentioned seeing it but my question is this a normal behavior for this species?

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Some fish are skidish. Just give him some time. He might also be bullied by another fish.

Luna

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I had a plain firefish that I hardly ever saw! I think it will come out when it feels more comfortable.

Is there any fish in there that is bugging it

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

3 weeks is a little long, but give him time. I hardly saw my firefish for the first week or two, and now he rarely hides.

6. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

Firefish are generally found in small groups on reefs. I have always kept them in groups of 3 or more. I have 3 Red Firefish Nemateleotris magnifica and 2 Purple Firefish Nemateleotris decora and they are constantly swimming together and are almost always out in the front of the tank.

7. Rynoskim46

Rynoskim46 Astrea Snail

Would a coral beauty bully the firefish? I know my damsel does I'm in the process of donating it back to my lfs. So would u guys agree I should maybe get one or two more purple or red firefish so they have a little buddy system goin? Its a thirty gallon system, once I get that troublesome damsel out what are other fish you guys would be nice additions to my tank?

8. Click Here!

9. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I brought my firefish home and he did the same. Shoot, sometimes he STILL does it and I don't have any fish that bully him or anyone else for that matter.

10. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

my firefish is pretty friendly it comes out and most of the time stays out in the open. Which makes me happy since i read alot like to hide. My emperor angel is more of a recluse then he is.

11. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

I've had a lot of experience with these because they are one of my favorites.

So IMO if you don't see it often and it's been 3 weeks, something is definitely not right. I would think that another fish may be bullying it although usually when that happens, once you introduce food, the firefish will come out to eat and usually right away the bully goes to chase the firefish so I would look for that first. If there is nothing bullying then you can try and rearrange your rock to see if you can make it a little more comfortable in its surroundings. These fish are timid and need to feel comfortable in order to survive properly.

As far as adding another or a few more, it's a crap shoot. Usually it can be done if all introduced at the same time and if they are generally the same size but even then if you get 2 males, there will usually be one chasing the other with the submissive one hiding most of the time. If you try and introduce another at this time it is possible they will get along but chances are they wont so it's up to you and these fish (as I'm sure you can tell) are a ***** to catch.

hope this helps a little!

12. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I'm wondering. What is the visual difference between males and females, if any?