worried about my cleaner shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Puffer Chick, Jan 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

last night he molted and i think he may be going through a bad molt this time. He has not come out of the rocks all day *not die lol*, i see his antennas poking through but thats it, usually when he molts he will be behind the rocks for about half a day then come out the rest of the day and for food and what not. This time he has not come out of the rocks all day and didnt even come out for food, moonlights are on and he's still not out like he usually is, i am worried

what would cause a bad molt

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Low calcium levels can cause a bald molt as well as nitrates/nitrites/ammonia... as far as I am aware. Or he could be perfectly fine and you're just paranoid lol

4. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Low iodine is usually what will cause it. Having said that, do not go dosing it, please. You seem like you are good with your water changes, I wouldn't really worry too much. They can hide for days sometimes after they molt. Do not start to panic unless you can visually see something wrong with him. I'm sure he will be back to his normal self in a few days. :)

5. mikeHVAC

mikeHVAC Spaghetti Worm

I made the mistake of dosing iodine...not knowing what i was doing and i think i killed my cleaner. :(

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I don't know if this is similar or not...but my hermit crabs molt every now and then and for like two days after they molt they won't come out of their shell and just stay in one spot. I think maybe it takes a lot out of them!

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

my calcium is in the "normal" range according to api so i think that should be ok and parameters are all 0, im hoping he will be ok, he has never not come out to eat

hmm dont have an iodine test kit, so no idea what my levels are. And yea i agree with you about the water changes, looks like its keeping everything in line. and i hope your right i shall see tomorrow i guess

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

sounds about right

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

thats not good, deffiently dont want to do that

11. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

My cleaner shrimp molted a few days ago and i thought he was. I completely forgot they molted and didnt realize they molted antenna and all. I couldnt find him anywhere because he his behind the rocks till the following day. Then he was completely back to normal. I thought he was gone till I saw him poke his antennas out from behind the rocks. Im sure itll be alright.

12. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Don't sweat it, Puffer. Your shrimp is exhibiting completely normal behavior. During the time immediately after a molt, they know well that their new exoskeleton is soft. They intentionally keep out of the open because they're protection is temporarily lacking.

He'll be back to normal in a week or so.