worms

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by schackmel, Jul 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I am having yet another sleepless night, so I decided to take a flashlight to my tank and see what new critters came to visit! Usually I see nothing but a bunch of pods, but tonight I saw 2 things that I am not sure of.

The first thing was curved in a rock hole and only a part of its body and tail was sticking out. It looked like a rolle polle in regards to its body (only a little smaller) I could not get a picture clear enough. I did notice that it had a tail that kind of looked like a small lobster type tail. So it made me think it was a mantis. (found this picture under other hitchhikers on this site)
    [​IMG]
    The body looked like the 3rd picture...so I am pretty sure that is what I have even though I have never heard clicking at night. Do I need to remove this and if so how?

Second thing I found was a thin, long brown worm on a rock. There was actually 2 of them on the rock (probably multiplying). Again, could not get a picture, but I did a search of worm ID on this site and it looks kinda like this

[​IMG]

Chaetopterid worm. It did not say if these were good or bad and I really can not find anything on the net on it. (I only looked briefly) So was wondering if I needed to do anything?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

from what I hear...not using your fingers :lol: you had to show them again didn't ya :lol: bleeeaaaahhhh givin me the willies again....

1 person likes this.
  4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

if its smaller then a Pill Bug (roly poly) and looks like one with a tail, then its an isopod. Pill bugs are actually land based isopods.

1 person likes this.
  5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Hey, if I am going to have nightmares about those things, then the least I can do is share in the experience.:laughings
    Funny thing, I was soo tired last night when I found it, I almost stuck my hand in there to get it out....that would have been bad!:eek:

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

It actually seemed a little bigger then a roly polly, but I found this article on the net and it does in fact look like an isopod!
    I posted this article in a seperate post in case anybody else wanted to read about these.
    Thanks again.
    Pills, Parasites, and Predators; Isopods in the Reef Aquarium by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com

7. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

They make great finger food for a party!...muaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh