worms

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by 2t2_crash, Nov 20, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2t2_crash

2t2_crash Fire Worm

Alright, I cant get pictures because they are so small my digital wont focus on them but let me describe them.

one live rock piece is invested with hair thin worms that are black and white striped, they like to string themselves all over my rock and retract and extend at will. They dont seem to do any damage to the system but I am curious.

Another worm I have seen is a bit thicker, and around a foot long and are dark brown. they either latch to a rock and let themselves move in the current or they just float in the current looking half knotted up.

The last one I saw was about an inch long and looked like larva for something. It was white and wiggled in the current and seemed content with swimming around the top of my tank in the moonlights. when I turn the T5 on it froze and would not move till the lights were off. the wiggle was a snake-like movement and rapid. I could not tell one end from the other as the head except that it liked to keep one side angled up all the time.

sorry, any guesses would help

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

isnt live rock great, its a biodiversity of life.

4. BillyD

BillyD Feather Duster

Actually i think it was all the talk about the various life that comes in on the liverock that really got me addicted at first. I let the LR grow in my tank for quite a while before adding any livestock just to see what all came out. =) every day or so something exciting happens. or you find some new thing.

But i have some of those black/brown and white worms in my tank aswell. they kinda peek out of a crevice in the rocks and flow around. I dont know what they are exacaly. but they havent moved...and have not gotten any bigger. so....till they do....i figure they are ok.

5. 2t2_crash

2t2_crash Fire Worm

cool, My LR is locally harvested by me so I get curious... getting rid of all the aggressive crabs is fun as well.

6. charlesr1958

charlesr1958 Flamingo Tongue

The only time I have seen worms swimming out in the open is when they have become reproductive swarmers. Without good, clear photos, it would be a big guessing game as to what you have. Might my hitch hiker pages be of use to you. I hope.

A Hitch Hikers Guide to the Reefs

Chuck

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

i love that website! i like all the pictures from each section, and thats my new hitchiker reerance site :)