worms

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by hitman35, Dec 26, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hitman35

hitman35 Purple Spiny Lobster

I got some worm like creatures that come out my rock in the middle of the night I cant describe em because when I shine the light they dissapear I wanted to know if they might be good or bad

2. Click Here!

3. dragonflylures

dragonflylures Flamingo Tongue

It sounds like it may be bristle worms. If it looks like it has a bunch of legs on it that's probably what it is. I just started seeing them with my moonlights a couple of days ago. I've heard mixed reports on them -- good being they eat waste,etc in your rock and sand and the bad only being that they can be a nuisance if they get large and out of hand. I guess I like them in my tank as they don't bother anything and gives me something else to look at.

4. Chubby

Chubby Astrea Snail

I will have to agree.

Bristle Worms have been getting a bad wrap for some time.
    The reason being is they usually catch them feeding on a dead fish in the tank,and peopel automatically assume they killed the fish. When they are actually just doing their jobs.
    Chubbs

5. hitman35

also I got som other strange little things in there I dont know really know how to describe them but there to small to get a clear pic of.The look like small insects sort or resembling a maggot but moves faster and has antennas thats as best I can desribe em then live in the rocks I noticed em last night kinda a little mo transparent then maggots but simliar in shape

6. dragonflylures

dragonflylures Flamingo Tongue

If they look like lice (what my wife calls them) I would have to say copepods or amphipods. They are of no harm to your system and you may find some of your fish will feed on them like gobies. If I'm wrong someone correct me but these to me are a very good thing for your system.

7. Chubby

Chubby Astrea Snail

Nope pretty much hit it right on the head. Your most likely seeing pods running around which are very reef safe and show your tank is maturing.
    Chubbs

8. Click Here!

9. hitman35

good good thank you guys I am please to know there all good

10. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

can't you buy copepods now in a jar and add to your tank?? And would this help the tank?? I'm thinking of adding some more cleanup crew/bottom feeders, would these work??

Sco

11. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

Hi

HI,
    I ve read on that DSB page that brisstle worms are great for DSB , they keep the sand all churned up and may prevent it locking down they help eat waste and improve water quality in a DSB, they can sting if you touch and if a fish eats one it could hurt, thats why they are only active at night to prevent accidental feeding.
    Doug
    I ve actually tried to important some to my DSB sump. of a new system.
    Lift a rock and you may see some tubes stick up in the sand.

I find the cheepest way to import is to buy a pound of live sand from a freind or petstore and you will then transplant numerous species to your sump, also algae is good way to add critters.
    there is a slight risk of parasites but there's always a risk with any purchase. I cycled a tank in 2 weeks doing this.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006