Worms, worms, and more worms

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by G-Boy, Apr 5, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. G-Boy

G-Boy Flamingo Tongue

I went out and got my first mushroom the other day and as much as I didnt want to have to ask, I have to. I have spent 3 days trying to find this worm id and am stumped. If you would give it a try would very much appreciate it. If you look at the bottom side of the mushroom, you will see 3 or 4 of them. I will get another picture in here as soon as i can resize it with many more. Aslo i see when i look at this picture after downloading it is bubble algae (Ventricaria) Two on this rock but thank goodness they will be easy to remove. I would have to say i have seen as many as 20 worms sticking out of this one little rock. one time as many as 5 out of one hole. Thank you for your time.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Area 51 Exotics

Area 51 Exotics 3reef Sponsor

They look like baby brittle stars

1 person likes this.
  4. G-Boy

G-Boy Flamingo Tongue

Really, how will they ever get out of this rock? My first thought was the same but I didnt think it was possible. I mean, i see up to 15 differnt spots with what i will now call legs, sticking out. It would account for the time I saw as many as 5 coming out of 1 small hole. There must be a city of them in that tiny rock. :)
    Dumb question.......Will they just die in the rock. The rock doesnt look porous enough for the little guys to get out if that is what they are. Should I break the rock or leave it alone. What a rookie huh? Thanks for your time.
    here is another pic. From the bubble algea look at 1:00, there are 3. At 9:00 there are 3. At 5:00 there are 2.
    [​IMG]

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I dont think they are worms. I have them as well and they really look like stars to me sticking their legs out of small holes. They stick out two legs and start stretching them to find food. That is their home, dont break the rock. I dont know the species of star fish, but my guess is that they are harmless as I have a rock with atleast 10 and all they do is stretch their arms and graze the nearby rock.

1 person likes this.
  6. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Yep. I have a couple to.. Actually i caught one. (I was really curious). They are in the brittle star fammily for sure.

Marc.

1 person likes this.
  7. G-Boy

G-Boy Flamingo Tongue

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

8. Click Here!

9. Wendy

Wendy Astrea Snail

And if you get really bored, you can tease them. Put a little piece of raw seafood on a stick, and hold it outside a hole, and see what little treasures crawl out. I have a bunch of red and white brittles, and 2 green and white, and a boat load of white ones that hang out in the gravel/sand.
    Enjoy your little treasures!

2 people like this.
  10. G-Boy

G-Boy Flamingo Tongue

Thank Wendy, karma for a great idea.... :)

11. G-Boy

G-Boy Flamingo Tongue

Well Wendy, I did just what you said and you guys all were right. I got one to come completly out. Cute litte buggers, must be about 15 to 20 of them. Well leave them be. Is good to know there are so many people out there that can answer such obscure questions. Thanks Vamp, Rickzter, M_lacom and Wendy.

12. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

they are cool to have enjoy them. i ended up with a major population of them but i had a wrasse that liked eating EVERYTHING i think he was eating them also. but since i caught the wrasse and got him out of the tank i have seen my population of mini brittle stars comming back. enjoy them they are great scavageners