worms question

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Kimbo, Feb 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kimbo

Kimbo Plankton

Hi All

I am new to the forum and have just started my first marine aquarium..

it is still in its cycling process. I have recently put my live rock in and have noticed that i have this weird looking worm coming out of it. I know the worms are good for the tank but i am just quite curious as to what kind of worm it is. There is actually quite a few of them too

I have attached a pic of the worm in the live rock.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Looks like the long legs/arms of a brittle or serpent starfish.

4. Kimbo

Kimbo Plankton

well as soon as the lights go on it quickly goes back into the hole it came from... I havent seen it completely out yet.

i hope its a starfish ;D

5. mufassathelion

mufassathelion Skunk Shrimp

i dont know what that is for sure i have long tubes coming out with like long hairs sticking out.... and then on other places all i can see is long hairs have no clue to what they are

6. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Looks more like a brittle worm. Turn all the lights out and put a red light next to the aquarium. If it is a starfish he will come on out he is blind to red light....

7. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

8. Click Here!

9. Kimbo

Kimbo Plankton

these live rocks are so interesting.. i tried the red light thing but it still wouldn't come all the way out.. it does look a bit like a snake..
    well while i was waiting with my little red light I saw a little bright red crab come out...what a bonus ;D

well im still interested in knowing what the worm looking thing is .. coz there is quite a few of them as well

10. scvc

scvc Bristle Worm

Peanut worms. I have a lot of them in my rock.

11. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

I agree with bogie, I have a rock full of these legs/arms. The way I get them to come out, is to drop some frozen/flake near them and it will come out to eat.

or

Take that rock out and put it in a container with no water flow wait about a hour then have a look.