Worms on the LR

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Elliot09, Aug 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Elliot09

Elliot09 Bristle Worm

I have about 44kg of fiji live rock in my tank - managed to get a really good deal on it from my LFS.

Noticed about 4 or 5 worms on (or rather in) it now - I don't think they're bristles, as they're not.. bristly.. enough. :p They're quite dark in colour, and stay in holes in the rock during the day, and during the dawn/dusk time too. They only come out when the aquarium lights are fully off, so I can't really take a photo (I spotted them when having a quick look with a torch a few days ago). They come out of their holes in the rock, grab things off the rock and then retreat back into the holes again, repeating the process. To me, this seems like good cleaner behavior, and I'm really not concerned about the fact there is worms in the tank.

What do you guys think - beneficial? My description was probably too vague for an ID, so I thought I'd post it here rather than in the ID forum. Apologies if it's in the wrong place!

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Hmmm, sounds like b.worms, but idk, no chance to snap a quick pic with the flash on?

4. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I have the same worms. Mine seem to be able to stretch themselves out a very long way to grab things. Their other end seems to stay put for the most part. When you shine a flashlight (torch) they tend to retreat. I've never seen them do harm.

I think they are peanut worms. Here is a video I found.

5. Elliot09

Elliot09 Bristle Worm

Will give taking a photo a try tomorrow, after the lights go out - can't find the camera at the moment!

If it is bristleworms, they can be beneficial, right? Or would it be something I'd have to look into sorting out? (Bristleworms are much more likely than the uberworm I have made up in my head ;))

6. Elliot09

Elliot09 Bristle Worm

Yeah - that sounds very similar to what they're like. As long as they're not doing any harm, I'm happy to leave them!

7. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Bristle worms are a very good addition to any reef tanks clean up crew and only eat things that are already dead, so if it is them, then you have nothing to worry about.

8. Click Here!

9. Elliot09

Elliot09 Bristle Worm

Worryingly, they don't look too dissimilar to the peanut worm in that video! Bit of a scary movement, there. Never seen them actually doing that, though. How bad/good are peanut worms?

Thanks for your advice again - this place has proven very useful already!

10. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I've never seen mine move that fast either. I think that one is on steroids.

I think they're fine. I've never caught them doing evil. The more life the better.

11. Elliot09

Elliot09 Bristle Worm

I did a little googling - seems to me that if it is a peanut worm, it shouldn't do any harm at all. The other option is a bristleworm, so you guys have effectively put my worries to rest ;)

Cheers!