worms in my substrate

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by freshtosalt, Apr 15, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

I'll try this a 4th time. Found these in my substrate. Any ideas??? more pics in my gallery.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

something is wrong here. I can't post anything.. Are these bristleworms? will an arrow crab eat HUGE worms? I found 2 that are too big to fit in store bought trap and they won't go into the one I made out of a 12 oz Dasani water bottle. Any ideas???

4. dano

dano Spaghetti Worm

run to an auto parts store and get a bolt grabber. its about a 2-3 foot spring, that has three claws that pop out from the button on top. works wonders you'll have your tank worm free in ten minutes.

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Why would you want a worm-free tank?  I have tons of worms in mine.  They eat all the detrious and stuff.  Keeps under the rocks reasonably clean! ;) ;D
    Plus, they keep the sand loose.

6. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

I'm not sure why I would want a worm free tank :-/. Just still new to this and not sure if they are good or bad. If they're good, I'll leave them alone :). If they're bad, I want to exterminate them ASAP >:( so I don't have any more problems when it comes time to "re-introduce" the fish to the tank.

7. Reefguy

Reefguy Guest

those look like sandworms....like the ones you buy at the baitshop

8. Click Here!

9. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

So if they are sand worms, they're O.K. :-/??? Like I said, I am still "new to the hobby" and not sure what is good and bad. I am learning with each new discovery, but I rely on you guys and my LFS for answers. I checked out Melevs web page, but can't find these guys there.

Thanks. :D

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, I can't really tell from that pic as it is sorta blurry. Do they have a couple of rows of bristle bunches? If so, they are likely bristle worms.

I think the only 2 real bad worms are Fire worms (which are Atlantic according to Calfo) and not too common in tanks without atlantic rock or sand.

And the really big polycheate (I think) worms that eat corals and such.

Can you get one out and take a photo?

11. freshtosalt

freshtosalt Astrea Snail

I'll try to catch one and take a photo of it. Some are white or transparent, others are brownish.

12. Reefguy

Reefguy Guest

Doesnt look like bristle worms, you have rock in the tank right? I have a bunch of bristle worms and i have never seen them actually all over the sand they only usually come out at night and never strays far from the rock. I have this HUGE one that i have been trying to catach but ever since it tweezered him and he got away i never saw him come out again....damn him ill get him one day