worm with sweeping tentacles ?????

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by RemickJ, Feb 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hi All,

Am hoping someone can tell me what these things are and if they are harmful and if so how to get rid of them.

On the surface of the rock all you see is the Tentacles. The only reason I know that there is a worm is because I had my red sea tank lights out for like a week. (no fish or corals) and I saw one floating in the water. Here is a pick of on on/in the rocks. The Tentacles are greenish with what looks like black stripes.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Spaghetti worms. Harmless, beneficial scavengers/filter feeders

4. RemickJ

Is there anyway to get rid of them? Do I need to worry about mt tank being over rin with them?

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

No, they don't really breed to the point of over running a tank. Just make sure your not over feeding and they will establish a balance to whatever food is left in the tank

1 person likes this.
  6. charlesr1958

charlesr1958 Flamingo Tongue

I would guess at it being a Cirratulid species (aka "hair worm") which are harmless scavengers of detritus and good members of any clean-up crew. For photos and more information, please see the below link.

A Hitch Hikers Guide to the Reefs

Chuck

1 person likes this.
  7. RemickJ

That's is them.. Clicking the link you sent and looking at the first worm at the top left under that species is what I have. Ok I'll let them go. Thanks for the Help K+ to all..

Thanks
    Justin