Worm/Parasite on Fish

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Pastey, Jul 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

[​IMG]

One of my firefish arrived with a parasite behind right fin. I removed it manually with a pair of tweezers and the fish hasn't displayed any sort of sign of illness before or after removal. Ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

If it was just one external parasite, the fish will probably be fine.

4. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

OK I've done a bit of digging with moderate success. It seems that the parasite is dug into the fish pretty deep and the visible part are eggs. I removed what I thought was the parasite once and it was back the next day. The general (but not complete) concensus is to simply go about your business and keep a normal, healthy feeding routine to keep the fish healthy. I'm not entirely convinced that leaving it be is the proper way to handle the situation but it seems there isn't much known about the life-cycle. I'm pretty much at a loss but I know I don't want to stress the fish by trying to remove it (again).

Here is another picture from another site:
    [​IMG]

5. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

I had the same issue with the same fish! I kept him for a couple of months but his "quality of life" starting going south.. he started by swimming less and be less active and feeding became more difficult one day i woke up and he had become the center piece for my CUC dinner :(

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i cant see the picture at work, but sounds like flukes.
    Flukes - Page 1

7. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

do you have a cleaner shrimp by chance? that might be the ticket seeing as they remove those types of parasites in most cases.

8. Click Here!

9. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

You can't see those sites and I can't see the one you posted. Viewing restriction at work sucks.

About the cleaner shrimp, a person on another forum had 3 and none of them showed any interest in it.

Apparently, it only affects firefish or similar species and I wouldnt be as worried but I have another firefish! My first crack at livestock has been a complete and utter headache. Very frustrating.

10. Reef4life

Reef4life Feather Duster

I had 3 cleaner shrimp and a cleaner wrasse and they didnt touch it at all .. sorry

11. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

I'm going to stay focused on giving the fish the best water conditions and a mixture of healthy foods and hope for the best. Nothing I have read indicates that any treatment will work with any degree of certainty so instead of stressing the fish out with dips, baths, treatments and quarantine....I'm going to let this parasite run its cycle.

12. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Lost the fish last night but I am not quite sure of the reason. I have a feeling my CBS may be partly to blame as the firefish had a tattered tail fin. I can't imagine my occ. clown or other (very small) fire fish had anything to do with that. I would really like to catch him in the act but if another fish shows signs of abuse, I have a feeling he'll be returned.

This has been a very frustrating start to housing fish after careful planning and monitoring.