Worm Infestation

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by coldshot, Apr 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I have these along with flatworms.
    Hesionidae
    Syllid Epitoke
    I am going to use Flatworm Exit when I get paid on the third,
    will that take care of these worm's also
    or will I need a different treatment for them also.
    I am hoping there is a fish for these worm's.
    I am thinking about trying a Wrasse for the flatworm's before I go chemical.
    Any Idea's on the other types of worm's.
    Please do not give me the link to the Live Rock Hitchhiker's as it only tell's
    about the worm itself and not how to get
    rid of it.
    Thank's to all,
    Danny

2. Click Here!

3. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

i would try a sixline first. when you kill the flatworms they release a deadly toxin. too much dead at once could knock your tank out. you can also suck them up with a turkey baster.

4. coldshot

I ordered a six line from the local LFS I will give them a call in the morn and see if he is in yet....thnx Annie...Ya ever deal with the other worm's?
    Danny

5. dca241

dca241 Astrea Snail

As stated, Flatworm exit is not only on the expensive side, but ultra fun to use. Its a maticulas process where id recommend watching for the worms and sucking them out of the tank with a turkey baster before they decompose in your tank and leach toxins.

As far as your future 6 line- Good luck! I have a decent sized 6 line wrass myself, and simply bought the fish for the asthetic appeal. However, it simply will not touch my flatworms (ranging from 1/2" to God only knows).

Now- how to 'get rid' of ur worms....

I personally use a product called "trap-em." Its a makeshift tube that holds bait and traps worms over night. It has cought a few in my tank after a couple attempts, but the problem is still there (but under control). Now if u dont want to spend the $13 dollars on it, you can simply make a makeshift rig yourself using the same concept/design. If you do decide to use this product, i would highly recommend to use another form of bait. My flat worms wouldnt touch the freeze dried krill that came with it- but cought 3 large worms the fallowing night with a couple 'flakes' of nutrafin max.

If you had to guess how many worms u had- how many would it be roughly? If it isnt an actual infestation, i wouldnt worry tooo much about it as long as ur coral isnt being eaten- due to the fact that most species are nearly harmless- and bother the reefer more than anything else..

6. coldshot

Okay I read an article about flatworms and fish, The writer of the article stated he keeps a couple of Mandarins and a sixline wrasse and a blue damsel in the tank just incase the worms come back after treating with Flatworm exit, I went a couple days ago just out of curiosity and got a small mandarin about and inch and a half long. I do nto see as many of the flatworms on the glass as I did before so maybe he is helping out. I am still in the market foe a sixline and will go back and get the other mandarin at the store. I also have a HUGE amount of copopod's so he will have plenty eat...maybe I can get out of the chemical and just do it with cool lookin fish...