worm ID

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by preciouslyinked, Mar 30, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. preciouslyinked

preciouslyinked Plankton

Alright, I saw the most interesting thing last night in my tank. This red worm, very long and thin, a roundworm, with no apparent mouth, twisted itself up into a loose mass, looked like a bow of sorts, and just twirled around the tank like crazy for awhile. then it would stretch out all its length and just float until it hit something and do the twirl dance again. It lasted about 2 minutes and its the first time i've ever seen that little guy in there! I dind't get a picture. but he was about 2 inches in length! like a toothpic when he was all stretched out. I'm just wondering if anybody has any ideal what kind of worm this might be!????

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. preciouslyinked

preciouslyinked Plankton

ribbon worm?

does anybody know anything about ribbon worms in aquariums?? i'm starting to think it might have been a ribbon worm. I looked up all kinds and its the only one.
    I thougth this site was pretty helpfull. http://www.reefs.org/library/aquarium_net/1197/1197_4.html

well, any info on these worms would be great! thanks.

4. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

No clue, actually.
    I seem to remember from biology courses that there are more species of worms (in multiple phylums) than any other group of animals except Arthropods. Ribbon worms....I don't recall. Round worms are very smooth all along their length, not segmented like earthworms (annelid worms).
    So many worms are parasites, though, that you might be better off just getting rid of it instead of waiting to get an exact identification.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  5. G-Boy

G-Boy Flamingo Tongue

1 person likes this.