World's Most Intelligent/Aggravating Fish! PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by GradeAMoses, Jun 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GradeAMoses

GradeAMoses Astrea Snail

Alright, here's my story...

I've had a beautiful 55g reef up and running for about four months now- everything's beautiful, checks out, and fish are healthy/happy. However I have one MAJOR issue....the basslet. That's right, a 1.5" Strawberry Basslet (maybe dottyback...if the LFS mislabeled him), regardless he's a purple pseudochromis- I'm 100% sure. ANYWAYS, this little $&*! attacks any and all new additions to my tank (ripping their fins to shreds) for a couple of days, displaying his dominance, then leaves them alone. I understand he's just establishing territory but I won't tolerate his behavoir any longer. I've tried to catch him sooooo many different ways (inverted water bottle/lobster trap-like contraption, via net, via feed and scoop, etc. and he ALWAYS escapes or doesn't fall for my tricks. So I come to you, 3Reef community, to help me catch this little devil so he can be returned to the privately owned reef store I purchased him from.

Also, removing the live rock or rearranging it to catch him is not an option.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...any advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

fish trap.. trap the little sucker..

4. GradeAMoses

GradeAMoses Astrea Snail

I WISH! Do you think it'll work...i already tried the bottle trap and he didn't go for it.

5. bama

bama Humpback Whale

have patience with it.. keep the bottle in there for a few days to acclimate them to it, then with lights on in the tank with the room very dark put some food in the trap only and wait.. the fish have a harder time seeing you if their tank is lit but the room is dark so it doesnt spook them as much.. try it.. also, use the search function on this forum and look through the various DIY fish traps people have successfully used. Good luck!

6. GradeAMoses

GradeAMoses Astrea Snail

AH-HA! SWEET REVENGE!

I got the little guy as he was sleeping. Just lifted up a piece of live rock (disturbing my reef lobster in the process, haha) and snagged the little purple punk as he was catching some fishy Z's. Thanks for the help bama, I appreciate your suggestions at this hour.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  7. bama

bama Humpback Whale

no problem.. glad to help..

8. Click Here!

9. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

Yeah I had damsels that where evil! Use the fish trap with the door, sprinkle food until he comes in then close the door on him. Takes time and patience. It will be worth it trust me, send us a picture of the @#$^!@%

10. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

I had the same issue with a cheap in price and stunning purple color pain in my ass fish!!! I just didn't feed for 2 day put the trap in,placed a cube of food it in sat back and waited a few minutes and bam sucker cruised right in and I dropped the lid on it. C-ya!!! never again mean fish