world news reefs becoming extinct

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by proreefer, Jun 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

2. Click Here!

3. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

Is it just me or am I the only one that the link doesn't work for?

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Nope... same here. :-/

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

6. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

7. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

8. Click Here!

9. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

click the link, when it tries to load it fails due to the extra http//: at the front of it. delete it and refresh and voila.

Good read, thanks for the link!

10. fragginawsome

fragginawsome Skunk Shrimp

if the reef system dies off while im still kickin' i will become depressed
    loose all hope for man-kind but, after just like the dinosaurs they died off of mass extiction; the earth regained control over itself and 365,000,000 years later here i am typing this to give off a message that will endure
    the change oof evalution.:-/

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I recently read a research article as part of my studies that reported evidence that some corals are incorporating a clade of zooanthelae that are more resistant to rising ocean temperatures. Their research showed that the ability to ingest this specific clade of zooanthelae is population specific and that not all corals would be able to adapt in this manner (essentially Darwin's theory). Their study was conducted with with Acropora millepora, which is relatively sensitive to bleaching events (caused by escalating ocean temperatures). This is a "nugget of hope", as described by the authors.

You're right, there have been 5 major extinction events in Earth's history (some say we are entering the 6th) and each time, life has evolved and and carried on.

Humans aren't the first species to completely alter the atmospheric composition and climate of Earth. I am sure you all are familiar with cyanobacteria? Some 3 billion years ago, a past relative of cyanobacteria "poisoned" the atmosphere with free oxygen in a period of time where species were adapted to anoxic conditions (look up the Great Oxygenation Event). Sound familiar re:humans and CO2?

I am graduating with a degree in oceanography in August, by the way. I will be going back to attain a master in the near future.