Wood Shrinkage

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by RemickJ, Oct 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hey guys and Gals! So I built my stand for my 200 deep dimension tank out of 2x6 lumber and was very careful to ensure the tank was level and that there was no gaps between the stand and the base of the tank. Unfortunately after about 3-4 weeks of being up, the 2x6 that runs across the back of the tank has shrunk causing there to be about a 1/16 to 1/8 inch gap over about 2 and a half foot of the tank. The the corners are still tight but start about 2 inches in from the left and going right this gap has opened up. What do you think. Has anyone else had this happen?

2. Click Here!

3. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

It happens. To avoid this you should leave the wood sit in the room for a few weeks before you build the stand with it. The same rule applies when you are doing hardwood floors. I'm not sure what you can do now though.

4. RemickJ

Do you guys think I could sneak some shims under it to be safe. When I called my LFS store they said the stands they get from the tank companies offen have gaps. Just wondering if cedar shims would do the trick.

5. project1

project1 Spaghetti Worm

i dont think its a issue the tank when full may even fix the problem of the humidity of the water could fix it also.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Unfortunately for the end user, some lumber suppliers kiln-dry their materials and others don't, and due to competition and price wars, your local yard may have dried and green lumber in the same stockpile.

Absolutely not. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are setting up a tank that will weigh more than half a ton. Not only would I not recommend shims, but because that board was screwed into place before it dried, it may crack or split under the pressure. Your safest option is to replace it.

1 person likes this.
  7. RemickJ

So do you think I can do this by draining water down to about 5 inches or so. This will allow me to keep fish and coral in. From there a can cut the board and get a couple guys to support the back of the tank while I put the new board in place. What do you think?

8. Click Here!

9. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I would shim it before I tried to replace it, just for the risk

10. RemickJ

This was my thought too. Clearly I can't go wacking shims under it but I thought if I could get them under just enough to support it I would be ok. I know it's a roll of the dice..