wonky test results

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by bradzillax, Sep 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bradzillax

bradzillax Plankton

ummm... yeah i might have finally figured out by accident why my tank has been giving me the readings it has. I came across an article about cycling, and they specifically mentioned "stability" by seachem which is what i used... however i thought i was adding it to kill pollutants in the water, where as i believe now that i was adding in one of tose "instant cyclers" type-of-thing.... very very interesting....

Quote from the article about cycling :
    Cycling with fish is by far the worst choice unless you add a bacterial “supply” from a product called bio-spira, or stability. Those are the only products that have success with jumpstarting the nitrogen cycle and moderating the spikes of ammonia and nitrite. If you were to do a cycle with fish, it is key to get one of these two products.

Quote from the seachem website:
    Stability™ will rapidly and safely establish the aquarium biofilter in freshwater and marine systems, thereby preventing the #1 cause of fish death: "new tank syndrome". Stability™ is formulated specifically for the aquarium and contains a synergistic blend of aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria which facilitate the breakdown of waste organics, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Unlike competing products, the bacteria employed by Stability™ are non-sulfur fixing and will not produce toxic hydrogen sulfide. Stability™ is completely harmless to all aquatic organisms as well as aquatic plants, thus there is no danger of over use. Stability™ is the culmination of nearly a decade of research and development and represents the current state of the art in natural biological management.

what do you think? Could this be why my test results have not shown the spikes? and my fishies are happy and from what i can gather seem healthy?

2. Click Here!

3. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

I too have use all the different quick cycle remedies. I always wondered what they actually did tot he test readings.

Looking back, I would not do it the same way. I would now

Build the tank, add a durable fish, maintain and watch the tank for 8 weeks, then start to really get into it. One fish here, one fish there.

Time cycles a tank, not magic juju.

Now adays I go slowere, much slower.

\Good luck

4. bradzillax

bradzillax Plankton

Exactly... if i knew then what i know now... I mean i wouldnt have used the stability.. i honestly thought it was a water conditioner.. and that cleaning the water was going to boost the nitrogen cycle....it wasnt until NOW that i realized what i put in... either way its too late to go back, and everything seems okay...for now..(crosses fingers) maybe the stuff isnt so bad?...time will tell