wonky test results

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by bradzillax, Sep 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bradzillax

bradzillax Plankton

Hi there everybody, i'd just like to introduce myself, my name is brad, and i've been reading the forums here at 3reef for a while now. I just decided to join as i have been reading the water chemistry section of the forums here. Since i'm an obvious newb, i've just been reading....alot! and not much to post. Anyways , i thought maybe you can help me with a question or two.

First off, I have the API reef and saltwater test kits. I've been doing tests on my water almost every day (or every second day) and recording everything in an excel sheet i made up for myself.
    To give you more of an accurate question, i guess i'll start on some basic tank specs and history. I have a 72 gal bowfront tank, Rena xp3 cannister, Aqua c remora H.O.T protein skimmer. 121 lbs liverock, Current nova extreme pro 48" 6xT5 light fixture, 4" aragonite and the tank is now about a month old. I started off with tap water and added stabilizer as per the LFS advice, then have done water changes with R/O. I have a real trouble distinguishing the colour of my ph test kit. Some days its obvious, some days i shake my head.

Over the course of the month i did add some green chromis, a blood shrimp, and a goby, on my bestfriends advice. (he's had a tank for a year or two now so i figure he knows what he's doing)

So over the course of the month my readings have been:

PH: steady climb from 7.8 (first week of tank running) to 8.8 before yesterdays water change, after the change, todays readings are 8.4

Salinity: 1.025 steady until my last water change yesterday of about 10 gal. which has spiked to 1.027 (probably my fault on mixing) is this safe? or should i add more r/o?

Ammonia: 0.25 up to 1ppm ( after adding the chromis) then back down to 0.25 and now 0 (after yesterdays water change)

Nitrite: 0 all the way through, never had a reading of it (even had the lfs test my water to double check, as well as using test strips to triple check)

Nitrate: Held at about 10ppm just after adding the chromis, and now 0 after yesterdays water change

Temprature: was at about 78/79 until i added more LR, and it spiked to 82, it came back down after yesterdays water change and has been at 79.3.

Now, i guess from what i read i was expecting to see a spike in ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate. These readings havent really shown that. My best friend says my tank is cycled, but i'm not so sure on that. My liverock however came from a private seller who imports it and i noticed he has chromis in his LR tank.

I guess what i'm asking is, are these readings normal? cause something is nagging at the back of my mind that its not. Should i still expect to see these cycling spikes? or is it possible the LR bacteria is develped and is handling things on it own? I'm kind of lost here and any advice is greatly appreciated. FYI, the chromis are very lively and i have no concerns right now about the liveliness of the inhabitants.

Thanks in advance guys.

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Shouldn't be doing any water changes while cycling, just let it sit and do it's thing.
    I had cured LR and live sand when I cycled my 55 and it was just about 4 weeks cycle time. You have lots of LR (121 lbs), so that helps a lot.

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Now what you want to test for next is alkalinity/dKH. I suspect it's low if your pH is fluctuating. Your alk you want at around 12 dKH (really depends on corals, calcium, magnesium, etc...) but that will keep your pH more stable.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Dude, there are so many things wrong here, I dont know where to begin. Luna

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Being that your tank is ONLY one month old, you shouldnt have ANY livestock at all or doing any WC's. Your tank has to finish its cycle. By doing the WC's, your just prolonging the process. The WC's will alter your readings, thats why you havent seen a spike in any element. As for your PH readings, they should be done at the same time of day. Luna

7. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Having been thee done that in the " I have gone too fast , please help" stage.

I suggest, let things sit a week then test the water and see where you are at. During a cycle, you dont really want to keep changing the water, but you can't let the Amonia and Nitrite get to high either. If tthey spike to danger levels you can add amquel or do a 10% change./

If your PH and such are all over the place when you change, you are likley doing something wrong. I find that 2.5 cups of salt per 5 gallons works good.

DO NOT add any more fish and maybe your green chromis, a blood shrimp, and a goby, will live, but not likley. You should have a dmsel for the first two months while things are settling down;.

Sorry I dont have much more than that.

\Good Luck

8. Click Here!

9. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Echo, echo, LOL. And a blue/green chromis is as good as a blue damsel, both are $4 fish commonly used for cycling (cause they're cheap).

10. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

True, true,
    And to prove it, I still have my Damsel and Chromis, so If they can make it through mine they must be tough...

11. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

2 yellow tailed damsels here. If healthy, they're one tough species.;D

12. bradzillax

bradzillax Plankton

Last time i listen to the kid at the LFS telling me to do water changes...K i shall let it sit and take its course. Thanks guys, i appreciate the help.

To Bogie - my calcium is at 460, phosphate at 0 and hardness at 161.1kh does that account for anything?