Wondering which clownfish to get.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by saltscrub, Jun 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltscrub

saltscrub Bristle Worm

I have a 29g tank and was wondering whether to buy an ocellaris pair or just one tomato clown. Or to buy one ocellaris clownfish. Just not sure whether to buy one or two. I know if I buy one now then I most likely won't likely be able to add another.. I don't really want to breed them, so I don't think I will need two. Do they do better in pairs?

2. Click Here!

3. dskyers

dskyers Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I would get the two they will play with each other and a lot more fun to watch. I have one Picasso in my tank and I regret it because they might fight now if I add another. IMO

4. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

don't get a tomato clownfish because they get big and very aggressive

5. saltscrub

saltscrub Bristle Worm

yeah I have heard that tomato clowns are more aggressive but they are cheaper. So, Would any of you prefer percula clowns or false perculas?

6. Lack-There-Of

Lack-There-Of Bristle Worm

I Personally like the look of the black saddlebacks or the black perculas ( i think its the perculas, might be the oc.):confused:

7. saltscrub

saltscrub Bristle Worm

Yeah but I have a black background... So it is very hard to see dark colored fish. I have a yellowtail damsel in there right now and when he is up against the background I can only see his tail! Once I am going to buy the clowns I will get rid of the yt. Or what other small and colorful fish would fit in a 29g tank?

8. Click Here!

9. Lack-There-Of

Lack-There-Of Bristle Worm

Oh :( thats no good with the black fish then haha, I have a blue background and I can't wait to get them;D

10. cfcheong

cfcheong Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I will definitely getting a pair of O** Premium Picasso but since I am a newbie and can't afford the loss of such high-end clownfish so I just stick with the LFS clownfish for the first year 8)

11. saltscrub

saltscrub Bristle Worm

Yeah im a newb also. I am considering in getting some fire fish and cardinals. then some gobys

12. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

I like black saddlebacks, they come in brown and "tri color" to. Here are some popular variants of ocellaris/percula clownfish
    mis-barred Misbar Ocellaris Clownfish | Amphiprion ocellaris | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums
    B/W Black Ocellaris Clownfish | Amphiprion ocellaris | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums
    Picasso Picasso Clownfish | Amphiprion percula | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums
    Premium Picasso Premium Picasso Clownfish | Amphiprion percula | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums
    Platinum Platinum Clownfish | Amphiprion percula | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums
    Wyoming White
    Fancy SA Fancy | Sustainable Aquatics
    Fancy White SA Fancy White | Sustainable Aquatics
    Regular Ocellaris Clownfish | Amphiprion ocellaris | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums
    Onyx SA Onyx | Sustainable Aquatics
    Vivid Fancy
    Fancy Snow SA Fancy Snow | Sustainable Aquatics
    Mocha SA Mocha | Sustainable Aquatics
    Snow-onyx SA Snow Onyx | Sustainable Aquatics
    Doni's Snowcasso Breeding Pairs
    Snowflake Snowflake Clownfish | Amphiprion ocellaris | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums
    Black Ice Black Ice Snowflake Clownfish | Amphiprion ocellaris | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums:
    Blacker Ice
    Premium Snowflake Premium Snowflake Clownfish | Amphiprion ocellaris | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums
    Midnight Midnight Clownfish | Amphiprion ocellaris | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums
    Domino Domino Clownfish | Amphiprion ocellaris | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums
    Naked Naked Clownfish | Amphiprion ocellaris | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums
    Extreme Misbar Extreme Misbar Ocellaris Clownfish | Amphiprion ocellaris | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums:
    B/W Extreme Misbar Extreme Misbar Black Ocellaris Clownfish | Amphiprion ocellaris | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums
    B/W misbar Misbar Black Ocellaris Clownfish | Amphiprion ocellaris | ORA | Oceans, Reefs & Aquariums
    Tangerine Proaquatix | Captive Bred Clownfish and More