withering toadstool leather

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jlcable, Apr 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

in high flow it should take about a week...in lower flow it just depends how long it takes to shed all the skin..and also dont mess with it at all..even if u think its gonna lean on somehting...the more u mess with it the longer or more stressed u make, prolonging the shedding process..

this happens just about everytime u rehouse a toadstool...all mine but my recent one has done..not sure why my recent didnt do it..maybe the salinity was the same but it shouldnt take too long....

i would say a week-2 weeks..depending on flow..

2. Click Here!

3. tattooedsoul87

tattooedsoul87 Coral Banded Shrimp

I dont want to hijack the thread but I have a similer question and didnt want to start a new thread. my new toadstool just got finnished shedding the other day and it opend up and looked alot better then befor, then 2 days after it opend up it closed again and stared shedding again. is this normal to shed 2 days after it just finnished shedding?

4. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

How's it doing now?

5. leigh

leigh Flamingo Tongue

as long as your waters okay i wouldnt worry about it its probably better to be shedding than turn white and startdieing on you, perhaps do a waterchange? if its a nano you could get away with a decent amount of water turned over my finger leather wasnt doing the best while shedding so i got a new pump and its blowing around it and now the leather seems to be doing great :) i also threw in a 25% water change hopfully its okay

6. tattooedsoul87

tattooedsoul87 Coral Banded Shrimp

It opend back up again and looks bigger and brighter then it did before

7. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

That's great then

8. Click Here!

9. jlcable

jlcable Plankton

so i have bought some more test kits and every level i can test is fine minus my ph is at 7.8 or 7.9, and the leather has gotten worst it tenticals arent coming out at all. grrr dont know what to do but let it go........

10. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

post a pic...honestly its not unnormal for it to take a month..ive seen it many times..toadstools are just different, theyre pretty much impossible to kill, grow under literally all types of lights, and all types of water qualitys.. as long as it was healthy when u bought it and your tank is stable with good conditions then your toad will be fine, IME toads prefer a ton of flow, mine literally is getting smoked by a powerhead and loves it...his polyps just sway with the water..

11. kunpc1

kunpc1 Plankton

I was amazed after reading lots of things about toadstool leathers. Most recommend low-medium flow but the lower flow just didn't do it for the one I got. I have mine being blown across the top by the sump return flow. If I have the pump off, its polyps are only half out, if that. Max flow and it fully expands and looks great.

12. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

Mine took about 3 weeks to get used to my tank. I also noticed that if the rock it's attached to is even a little bit unstable and can move, it really does not like it.

Once I secured the rock nicely in a good flow area, he started opening up like you'd not believe.

P.S. Mine seems to prefer to lean at 45 degree angle.