With what we can do "New-School" Why do you Still rock that Wet/Dry??

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by heidimi, Aug 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

Thanks 3reef master Matt Rogers for chiming in! Like the others in this thread you have some longevity in this hobby that is much respected and great to learn from!

Ohhhh Under-gravel filters... now doesn't that sound like fun lol I know a tank in a Dr.'s office down the street that still has that. The tank is pretty neat to look at, different times but still cool.

Heidi

2. Click Here!

3. SPINNER

SPINNER Fire Shrimp

Proud of what you have done

Well i am glad we didn't upset you it's all in fun and a great way to learn:) You are a top notch saltwater hobbiest and have a great looking aquarium to show for it. 3reef is a great place for old and new alike we all have been hooked by the same bug. I offered you the books because that's part of our roots and to be a true reefer we should where we came from.
    Even though i hold the patent for the Refugium Design and one of the first wavemakers, it's only because of learning from the people before me that i was able to take it a few steps futher. Over the years i have found the one's who think they know it all or have the best way,really don't have a clue. Keep a open mind and keep on reef......N who knows someday i may be installing one of your products on my tank:)

4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I don't even know what a wet dry filter is...

posted with tapatalk please ignore bad spelling and grammar

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Im kinda on the same page. I know the basics but have no experience with one myself. Its just a containment system for beneficial bacteria to live and aid in reducing nitrates correct? I know they are efficient and still widely used despite their age in the hobby, but because Im still relatively new to this I havent known anyone to run them. Just fish stores to my knowledge.

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

They don't do anything with the nitrates. It's a place to grow crazy amounts of ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Keeping W/Ds clean has nothing to do with them being nitrate factories.... they are nitrate factories because that is their primary job... providing a highly oxygenated area to reduce waste to nitrites and nitrates. Producing nitrates is what they do. Depending on what you have than may or may not be acceptable. People lump filtration all together, but all salt water systems are not the same... FO tanks can handle high nitrates, reef tanks not so much.

What you are doing with mechanical filtration is removing waste before it can be broke down biologically. So filter floss on a W/D removes a large amount of that before it can ultimately become nitrates. Bio balls being clean or not really changes nothing. Nitrates are produced... those that like to get lazy with their mechanical filters simply have more waste and therefore more nitrates.

Fish stores use W/Ds because that is what is best for them... they don't have LR in their displays to get in their way and they have a lot of fish.

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

And what is the end result of that feast?

10. Renee@LionfishLair

When I said they don't do anything for nitrates, I mean they don't do anything in the way of reducing them, as I was addressing the post above me.

And they don't do anything WITH the nitrates, they produce them, so either way, the statement is correct.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

My bad.

12. Renee@LionfishLair

I need to start quoting when I'm referring to a specific statement.