Wish I could get my hands on a mantis

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by kalandra, Jun 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kalandra

kalandra Flamingo Tongue

Title says it all I had one before I'd like another , I've been waiting for my Lfs to have one someone returned from live rock . . Had a smasher last time wouldn't mind a spearer

2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Diver's Den on Live Aquaria gets them in every now and then. I loved my mantis so much, definitely my favorite pet so far.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

they do seem to be a very interesting creature to keep because of how people talk about them :) Hope you find one soon!

5. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

I've had a couple different mantis. none compared to my big ole' peacock though.

I want to set up another mantis tank myself, but I want to do a rounded front corner tank and they arent too easy to come by where I am.

6. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Blue Zoo Aquatics is another good source for Stomatopods. Between them and DD, you should be able to find one.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

ibluewater.com got me the most amazing specimen. But be ready to answer a few questions and if you aren't ready to provide a secure home, he may refuse to sell to you.

8. Click Here!

9. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

+600000.

if you're after a mantis, especially a peacock call bob at ibluewater. he'll send you pictures of the speciman in question and everything. I went his direction and got a beautiful bright green female peacock. Not a poo poo brown one that alot of LFS get in. If I get another the ONLY place I would buy from.

10. tunamike

tunamike Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

my local lfs has a peacock and he's so cool to watch... they feed him blue legs and he just cracks the shell open and eats them... they're amazing creatures!!!

11. Kirklandp

Kirklandp Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey bud! I got mine from john maloney. He gets them from time to time in his stuff and is an awesome guy. Might as well add some more CUC lol.

12. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Jon generally get n. wennerae. the florida variety. I had one of those too, they are cool but not the interactivity of a peacock. They are way cheaper and very hardy. I would say if your just starting out they are a good way to go. Yes a healthy CuC with a mantis is a good way to go. I used to just order a large box of hermits and snails and let mine kinda free range at her leasure along with regular feeding. A very cheap way to keep both a mantis fed and a tank clean. They like most predators wont kill just to kill, or at least mine didnt. A $50 box (no shipping) would generally last a month & a half or so.