winning the battle

Discussion in 'Algae' started by loneracer05, Jan 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

well i thought i would share with everyone my hair algae story in hopes it will help others. my tank was bad like real bad ...ill dig up afew pics later.i was using ro/di water new filters and kinda new bulbs 3 months old or so. well its been awhile now 3 months mabe 4 but i finally am getting it under control. the battle is nott won but the tides have turned.

first thing i did was set up a fuge with cheato this helped a little but not a ton

next i started to nightly clean off my koralias and hob filter inlet i feel this was one of the biggest things in helping the water quality because it helps with flow and also took out alot of nutrients that the GHA was feeding on.

then my final thing was to use a tooth brush and scrub the rocks in the tank. there was to much to pull out using my fingers. well this worked out well the hob fiter floss nabbed abunch of it and the power heads grabbed a bunch also. then i cleaned everything.

this is in adition to weekly 25% water changes

now my GHA is finally starting to leave my tank i hope tthis will help others with their GHA issues ... ill try to dig up pics when i get on the computer :)

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Glad to hear your winning your battle.

4. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

i lost the battle, but am glad to hear you beat it!

5. loneracer05

well i havent won yet but its alot better

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

what was your nitrate & phosphate levels at a few months back?

7. loneracer05

well they always tested 0 bc of the algae.. i never really tested it before the algae started to grow . only to make sure my initial cycle was over... i was still very new to saltwater.