Will tiger pistol shrimp kill my cleaner shrimp?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by tooconceited, Oct 1, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

I was thinking about getting a pink and blue shrimpgoby and a tiger pistol for my tank but I already have a skunk cleaner. Will the tiger pistol shrimp want to kill it or my hermit crabs?

2. Click Here!

3. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

I havent had any problems with my skunk and tiger. The tiger stays underground with the yellow watchman and pretty much ignores the skunk and vice-versa. Don't think they compete in anyway with each other.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That's a definite maybe. Pistol shrimp have been known to eat cleaner shrimp in the wild (and also in my tank).

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Pistol shrimp can start to be hunters. They tend to take out all shrimp over time. They have also been used to ride tanks of mantis shrimp

6. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    really? how big can pistols get, because i just saw two 6-7 inch monster mantis shrimp at one of the lfs.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It's not a matter of how big they get. Pistol shrimp take their prey out with a "sonic boom" and not brute force.

8. Click Here!

9. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

very cool...i want a "sonic boom". :)

10. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    that i knew. but those guys were monsters. thats amazing. i have to see it. i hear thta pistols can create a sonic boom equal to a .22 pistol.

11. smokenax

smokenax Plankton

pistol shrimp

i have heard clicks in my tank for over a year i figured it was a pistol shrimp.i also had a skunk for about six months until i threw some pepermints in there and they all started dying one by one could i have a pistol that is hunting?everything else is fine.hermits,emeralds,and snails.keep in mind ive nver actually seen this guy.

12. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

Ive heard clicks as well in my tank!! ive looked at all the rock closely and in some holes there are these little black mussels ..as ive never seen a pistol shrimp in this tank im thinking that "the clicking noise "are these mussels ???
    :confused: