Will this work using washed soaked rinsed cement

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by djnzlab1, May 1, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

HI,
    I have been adding tanks and constantly looking for ways to add things on a budget for some of us less rich keepers.
    I was wondering if you took some interesting pieces of cement rubble washed it soaked it in weak vinegar for a while and then added it to a back drop as dead rock, and it seems very similar to many of the dead rock that are being sold for 1.99 a pound.
    You could build a nice base rock pile and then that coraline would cover it and you would be the only one who knew its cement.
    Any one tried this.:confused: The vinegar should nutrilize most of the lime and any that leaches out over the months following could contribute the the KH buffer.
    Doug

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Many people have used cement to make home made rock. It looks and acts like real LR over time. typically people mix the cement with shells and other things that break down over time and create caves and tunnels. I have not heard of people using existing cement rubble but it would work. I believe you need to soak it for some time in fresh water and change it often to deal with the PH issues.

Here is a good thread form Matt and his LR

Jason

4. a1amap

a1amap Astrea Snail

Go to garf.org they have the instructions. I have made my own rock using concrete and it works well but you have to soak it for a while. I added water softner salt to mine to create holes. Worked well, Just takes time to cure.
    AL