Will this work out for me.....

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by freddie.b, Aug 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. freddie.b

freddie.b Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I just upgraded from a 56 gallon reef to a 110 gallon aquarium.. I'm wondering if my wetdry filter will be ok its rated for up to 90 gallons.. And if I do it what will happen.. Thanks in advance fellow reefers..

2. Click Here!

3. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

IMO it wont be any good. If its up to 90, its definately not going to be up to handling 110. You will most likely overflow it as any intake will take way to much water and it also wont be able to handle the bioload of the bigger fish.

IMO, even if said up to 110, I would still recommond you get something a little bigger. Its always better to overcompensate (without overkill) than under compensate.

You could use the 56g as a sump though? That might help you out abit.

I hope this didnt dampen your plans.

Ryan.

4. freddie.b

What if I add a canister to help it out .. Lol just trying to get it up and running.. Its going to be a fowlr tank

5. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

You probably could but I wouldn't. Go slow :) Theres no point in just getting it up and running if its going to cause you issues or not turn out the way you hoped.

6. freddie.b

That's true.. I want a refugium but not exactly sure what size I would need.. Being patient is hard to do.. Lol but I will take my time and do it right..

7. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

If it's for a fowlr tank I think you'll be OK, as long as it can handle the back siphon when your return pump is shut off. Tho, if you CAN upgrade, it's only going to help you.

Having the live rock in the display tank is what will help manage the bio load.