Will This Work For Refugium?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by tingleyl, Jun 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tingleyl

tingleyl Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

2. Click Here!

3. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Yes and No... You could probably put a refugium in the middle compartment but I think most 3reefers will agree that this is not the sump that you want. As far as I know, biowheels are definately not the prefered method of filtration now-a-days. Plenty of live rock and a good skimmer whould get things done for you. This would allow you to get a more economical sump with plenty of room for a refugium.

4. tingleyl

Hm...thanks for the info. I was planning on using this along with live rock and live sand. I was under the impression I needed something like this for the sump. Guess I need to do a little more research.

Thanks for the heads up.

5. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

if you want a sump/fuge combo you would want something like this [​IMG]
    i wouldn't use the bioballs though, people claim they cause nitrate problems(never used them myself).
    if you have room, you could do seperate sump and fuge.use sump for equipment like heater, protein skimmer etc... also good place to add top off water and dosing alk, calcium and mag supplements.
    just something to think about. do alot of research and thinking before dedicating yourself to one perticular design
    happy reefing ;D brian

6. tingleyl

Do any companies sell these, or do you have to custom make your own?

7. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

It would be much cheaper just to make your own if you wanted.

8. Click Here!

9. captbill

captbill Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

waste of money could build your own with a tank and some cut glass....just google reef fuge and there are lots of step by step vids there that will get you on the rite track on how to do build one....mine is a 30 gal breeder that i plumbed my self was very easy and cost less than 100 bucks for everthing