Will this work for a sump/ refugium filter?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by jtarunner, May 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jtarunner

jtarunner Plankton

Hi everyone I was doing some research and came up with a design for a Sump/ Refugium for my 55 gallon reef tank. Will this work? Let me know what you think. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. slocal

slocal Doot!

Very nice work. I have no idea, but I'm gonna just bump this for ya to keep it on the top.

4. jtarunner

jtarunner Plankton

ok. thanks

Does anyone else have any input?

5. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

It looks like a pretty sweet design. I can see its benefits. I know that Pods can swim against current well and they can go through your media for bubble trapping and into your skimmer. Alot of people tend to suck from the middle and skim on one side and fuge on the other. A sump is a sump and that one is pretty interesting. I would go for it if you like it. It doesn't have any down sides to the design that I can see. Let us see it when you’re done!!!!

6. jtarunner

jtarunner Plankton

OK Thanks optimist. I am going to start setting it up tomorrow and let all the silicone seal over night. hope to have it stet up before the end of the week. i will post pics

7. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

It looks fine to me. Most people recommend a slow flow fuge and yours is going to be the full flow of your return pump.

I actually had a very functional fuge inline like that in my 20 gallon sump and it worked fine. I had tons of pods and my chaeto algae was growing very quickly. I recently moved it to a stand alone 10 gallon fuge but only because of inconsistant water levels causing problems. Your design wont have the same flaw so I say go for it.

The inline fuge also has the added benefit of allowing the algae in the fuge to act as an added bubble trap to keep microbubbles out of your DT.

8. Click Here!

9. jtarunner

jtarunner Plankton

how could I design it different to slow the flow down? or should I just leave it the way it is?

10. jtarunner

jtarunner Plankton

can i put the refugium on the right side and just have the pipe from the overflow go into 2 directions with a shutoff valve into the refugium so it can have a slower fill up rate for the refugium while the one going into the sump is open with no water restriction? and just hae the return in the middle. and if i do that do i need a bubble trap after the refugium also or just after the sump? Thanks

11. Optimist

There really is no right or wrong way. You can do what you feel comfortable with.
    If it were my set-up, I would do like you said and T off the return for a split flow and control the rate to the fuge side but then that picture you had goes right out the window. I guess micro bubbles come from the skimmer because it has media after the skimmer. I would think by slowing the rate of flow to the fuge section you'd have less "pounding" the surface in the fuge area and more settling plus the picture has the media after the skimmer.
    I have never had micro bubbles so I dunno.

My new sump/ fuge is more like this:

Hope this helps some.

Attached Files:

12. Optimist

Your idea would be minus the bio-ball portion with the pump and lower the bag down into the water/tank.
    It keeps the Skimmer on one side and the media seperate with the pump in the middle. With water flowing down from both, the pods can't get sucked into your skimmer.

EDIT: I meant Chaeto or what ever macro you use not media.

Last edited: May 4, 2009