Will this turn to Live Rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Ropski, Dec 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ropski

Ropski Astrea Snail

2. Click Here!

3. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Yes it will turn into live rock. LR is not really live. We call it that due to what is alive in and on it

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I think any rock will turn live, because organisms will start living and growing in/on it. It takes some time, though.

5. Ropski

Ropski Astrea Snail

oh lol. i gotcha, how long does it usually take for the organisms to start growing?
    Thanks!

6. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

throw in some toilet paper in an established tank... next day pull it out and you have live toilet paper.....

Point is whether its sand, rock, it will become "live" when its put in an established tank.

7. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Just make sure whatever you getting as base rock is very porus and light for its size to allow more "floor space" for the bacteria to grow.

~Will.

8. Click Here!

9. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

Some people say that only rocks coming directly from the ocean but personally, I think that's horse manure. Their argument is that only the ocean has enough organisms (worms, bacteria, all that good stuff) to truly make rock living. I think that in a closed system such as an aquarium, the concentration of living organisms is high enough that within a year to a year and a half, base rocks will be covered in algae, bacteria and the like. The purpose of rock is just to biologically filter the water, provide a base for corals to sit on as well as a place for fish to hide. Hope this helps more than it causes confusion, but if you've got questions, please ask. This site is very friendly. Welcome!

10. Ropski

Ropski Astrea Snail

If i threw a chunk of LR from my local LFS would that speed up the process at all
    ?

11. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

yes definatley

12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Absolutely, because you would be introducing more life to the tank.