Urgent will this tank be ok on these stands??

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by billyboy2, Dec 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

I have a 55G long tank..(4ftx12x18'')

It was originally on a stand made perfect size for it but the legs started to crack and i was give 2 stands for a 29g reef octopus bio cube.

They are very sturdy and solid built so i know the weight isn't going to be an issue, but if put side by side they dont quite make the 4ft wide i need.

I spread them apart so i have about a 6'' gap in the center of the aquarium where the base is not supported. I'm pretty sure the weight is spread over a large enough surface area where it wont be an issue but here's the problem,

I noticed the seam of my tank has sprung a leak on the upper section in the corner. I tried using sealant for aquarium glass and supporting it with a adjustable carpenters clamp... it held for a day and is slowly leaking again.

I hate the dimensions of this tank because its so narrow and want to get a larger 70G tall tank that i have found second hand that looks to be in very nice shape but no stand.... I would have about a 4'' gap in the middle if i use my 2 reefoctopus stands.

would this be safe??:-/

2. Click Here!

3. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Could be an issue. If the two stands are not leveled with each other, you could have unwanted stress points on the edges of the aquariums that could lead to leaks down the line.

4. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

I would connect them somehow. I agree with ReefPlayGround. I would be concerned with one of the stands doing something different under the tank then the other. If you can connect them, at least they will act as one unit.

5. billyboy2

well i have them both sitting on a solid piece of 1'' thick plywood that is cut to the size of the footprint the two stands make...I could join them in the back and front though.

anything else seem to be an issue?

6. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

What if you used the plywood on the top? That would help support the tank in the gap that you have in the middle. Just a thought.

7. billyboy2

i never thought of that...thanks!

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

the stand is the most important part of a setup. Understand that even a little stress will do what is happening now with your tanks. Dont skimp on this piece of equipment its like sprinting along the edge of a cliff with a broken leg.