Will this survive

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by m_lacom99, Nov 8, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

[quote author=Malachi link=board=Inverts;num=1099927513;start=0#9 date=11/08/04 at 13:35:13]i either have to get on drugs or have a kid, i am so out of the loop. [/quote]

Go the drug wrought right off the bat and save your self some aggravation as the older your kid gets the more you'll wish you were on drugs . ;) ;D.................... John

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I find it hard to believe that the brief time the sponge is out of the water (from tank to bag) is enough to kill the sponge. I have some colorful sponges that were pulled from the bottom of the ocean and placed in a container on the boat, then pulled again and placed in a holding tank, then pulled one more time so I could transport them home. Mine are all alive! I think it depends on the type of sponge, as the live rock suppliers scrape some sponges off the rock when they put them on the boat. They know these (this certain type) of sponge will not survive but others will.
    Jim

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I am not a sponge expert and I am sure that there are some types of sponge that are not damaged by exposure to air but I don't know what the types are........... John

6. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Its not the air, its the water escaping the sponge that kills it, so brief contact with air will not kill it but will do damage most of the time. WHen LR gets its usually wrapped in a wet media, I have too pick the large sponges (like in your photo) off to avoid the all ready nausiating smell from becomeing worse. Take the LR out and de-sponge it. If you tank is established i would take it out asap, if theres no fish in there you can leave it and let nature take its course. If you got a bunch of rocks with that mush sponge you should invest in some lysol in case you decide to cure it your self.